Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good pickup preamp with a parametric midrange?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Jan 1, 2005.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hey I'm looking for an onboard preamp with a "dialable" not switchable midrange, if possible. Anyone know of a good one? OR if someone could recommend a GOOD pre with a switchable mid control, but a parametric is preferred. I'll do a switchable, if it's one of those "you can't go wrong with this setup" kind of deals. This will be going with SD Basslines ASB Phase 2 pickups in a Schecter Custom 5.
    Thanks!!

2. The Aguilar OBP-3 (a great preamp) can be setup with parametric mids. You have to get a special pot to do that. The wiring schematics on Aguilars website tell you how to do it. Also, Yamaha just re-released the NE-1 out board preamp.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've tried both switchable freq and variable (sweep) mid freq preamps.
    Personally, I prefer the switchable mid freqs - easier to get a consistently reproducable sound when you're switching mid freqs. For example, you might cut around 800hz for slap on one song then want to boost around 250/400/500 for more girth or cut.
    I've had good results with switchable mid freqs on 3 band Aguilar and Bart preamps.
    That being said, those with sweepable midrange:
    Aguilar OBP-3 - can sweep between 400 and 800hz, or be set switchable or at a fixed freq
    U-Retro/J-Retro - from (I think) 150hz to 3khz
    EMG BQS/BQC - don't know the freq ranges. Info should be on http://www.emgpickups.com

4. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Davids suggestion of the OBP-3 with a sweepable midrange would provide some versatile mid tones. You also may want to look at the Bartolini EZQ preamp. It has a parametric filter with adjustable frequency and Q. Bart also offers a NTCT 3-band pre that's available with various mid boost units.

5. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I would suggest a set of Villex Pickups. That has a natural sounding mid control. I've heard that they sound good in combination with and Aguilar OBP-1 for a three band EQ using Villex's mid control, and I see Aguilar has a diagram for the OBP-1 with a passive tone control, and I think that would open up even more possibilities. You might also want to look into Noll Electronics,
    http://www.bassline-bass.de/noll/Katalog.htm
    ;)

6. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    The East U-Retro has a sweepable mid range - I'm more than happy with the two 'Retros I've got on my Modulus 6s! :)

http://www.east-uk.com/ is the website, plenty of info there.

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

7. largo

largo

Nov 19, 2004
    I'm looking at a OBP-3 for my bass.
    Is it possible to have a mid + mid-sweep stacked pot ?
    If it is, where do I source one ?

8. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Try
    http://www.noll-electronic.de/sites_e/d_home.html
    These guys know what they're doing for sure!
    I got a 3-way mid-parametric from them 2 months ago and....well,I don't want to speak further!!! :hyper:
    There are a wide variety of knobs,stacked or not...just see the damn site!
    One last word about Noll's preamps:I don't know what parts some big names put in their preamps but I DO know (from what I heard that happened on my bass) what this brand uses. :bassist:

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    from what I know, no

10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    If I'm not mistaken, isn't that how John East's preamps are done? One stacked pot that has both the mid boost/cut control knob and the mid sweep knob.... Correct me if I'm wrong....

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, that's exactly how it's done with a j/u-retro. but it's not possible to do it that way with an aguilar obp-3, which is what the poster was asking about.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, misunderstood what was said. :D

13. with the aguilar OBP3 there is a possibility to replace the midselector-switch for a dual 500k linear taper pot for sweepable mids between 400 and 800hz.
    so you keep the 50k mid-pot for leveling the chosen mid-frequency.

you can get it at www.mouser.com or www.digikey.com

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Only thing to be aware of here is that the pots that would be compatible with the OBP-3 (the Mouser one, anyway) do not have center detents, so you won't know by touch when the mid-freq level is set to '0'. So you end up with 2 knobs to control the mids (one for level, the other for freq), and the freq knob does not have a detent. May not be a deal-breaker for you, but it's something to be aware of.