Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a good Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VinnyP666, Oct 4, 2002.

1. VinnyP666

VinnyP666

Aug 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    What is a good Power amp? I am on a very tight budjet, like 400 $ maybe 450. Could I use an effects rack as a premap. Can I just use one of those little sansamps as a premap?

2. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    I use QSC RMX-850 power amps (I use one for bass and the other in our monitor rig). A bit heavy but easy on the wallet. You can find them new or used at lots of places on the net.

I use a SansAmp Acoustic DI for my preamp right now. I play upright bass and the parametric mid control is very handy. The "tube sound" is great. You'll find lots of folks here use this one or their Bass DI. Again, easy on the wallet.

I use an Acme B-2 Low cabinet (3-way,4 ohms). The bridged mode on the QSC amp puts about 600 W through it (it is a real power hog).

As far as using your effects rack as a preamp... what's in your rack? You can't use a reverb as a preamp (but can you use a distortion box as a headphone amplifier?).

Have Fun!

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    You could get a new Carvin DCM1000 shipped for under $400. It's 1000 watts, light weight and gets good feedback from people who use them. I use a DCM600 and I'm very happy with it. I've never used the sansamp but I seem to remember posts about using these as preamps on this board. Do a search.

4. jmanyea

jmanyea

Mar 20, 2002
    St. Louis
    Another vote for the DCM1000. I use it with the Sansamp RBI rackmount and am very pleased w/ the setup.