1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a good practicing regime for a beginning bassist???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    What is a good practicing regime for a beginning bassist??? I have been playing for like 2 months. I play different scales and chords but it is like I am stuck in a rut and playing the same stuff over and over again. I am also teaching myself to learn theory. I teach myself to play bass with books and dvds because I can't afford a teacher at the moment. So what is a good practicing regime I could follow daily? My goal is to play with a band. I jam with a friend who plays guitar and he has been playing for a while but we sometimes get stumped on what to play together. I feel it because I do not have much knowledge. I feel that I need to get at improvising which I am not. So any suggestions?

2. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    Do you have a metronome? If not, then I would suggest going out and buying one(less than 20$) and playing the scales and different things you know with the metronome at a very comfortable tempo. Another thing I would suggest is to try and pick out different simple lines in songs you like and learn them by ear.

3. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    A good regime is to practice more rather than less.

What is important is to make sure you are practising things you aren't good at more than things you are. It's also important to learn about the context of the things you are practising and learn to analyse what you are doing. I would say if you are learning songs it is a good idea to try and analyse what is going on with the songs too in terms of "key", chord progressions, style and so on. It will also pay for you to transcribe things you learn and try to make some variations on those things and practice them.