What is a good preamp for rock and roll style?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by twilightcall, Jun 6, 2004.

1. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    I am in the market for a preamp. I was wondering what are some of the nicer sounding preamps that would be good for rock and roll. I mainly play 80's-90's and some current. I have a Pre-EBMM Stingray and a Gibson Thunderbird. I plan to use this with a 4x10 cabinet. (not sure which one yet but I am looking at an Ampeg classic series 410) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Ampeg SVP-PRO, BBE BMax, Aguilar DB-659? model, i think. and Sansamp RBI.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd also choose the Ampeg SVP-Pro. If you have'nt already checked out Vanselus' "Basstaster's" site, I highly recommend it. You can hear dozens of preamp/bass combinations. :cool:
  4. I don't think I've yet heard a preamp that sounds as good as the BBE Bmax. I'm getting an unbelievably good sounding bass tone out of mine.. the amount of control over the midrange content you have with it is amazing. Crank the gain on the Para Mid eq section, set the frequency at 700hz, and you will cut through anything.. ANYTHING... death metal guitars included. You can also dial in a wicked sounding distorted tone with the para mid gain cranked enough.
    It also has an onboard compressor and Sonic Maximizer... it is under 300 dollars... no other rack bass preamp can compete with these for the $$.
  5. I have to agree here. I really enjoy my BBE Bmax.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

For lowdown'n'dirty rock'n'roll I'd recommend Ampeg SVP-Pro or SansAmp RBI. The RBI especially is a heckuva bargain considering the price, and also the wide variety of inputs and outputs which allow it to be patched into a rack all sorts of different ways. Last month I ran mine in a stereo clean/dirty configuration for modern rock.
  7. What pre-amps have you tried? Have you gone to any stores with your rig and tried them out? How else would you REALLY know what works for you??? What have you found from your conquests?
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    if you come across an swr interstellar overdrive preamp anytime, i'd suggest you check it out. i love mine and i rock out with it all the time, it can overdrive its tubes for a nice full overdrive when you want it which is great for rock stuff.
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you can find one, I recommend checking out a used Rocktron bassMAXE. I have one and I think it's great for heavier stuff.

Not saying it's the best, just saying it's worth a look and you can probably find one on the cheap.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm partial to the Mesa/Boogie BassTriaxis myself.
  11. As much as I enjoy my SVP-Pro, the one time I've been on stage with it and a Thunderbird they didn't seem to compliment each other.

On the other hand, it sounds great with the MM style p/ups in my SRX so it would probably be great for the 'Ray.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I second the recommendation of going to Basstasters and letting your ears decide. However, being a Thunderbird user myself, I really dig my Eden Navigator (w/ PLX 3002). If you are set on getting a 4x10, I'd recommend either an older Diesel or RR Mesa Boogie, or a new Epifani T-410. If you are willing to expand your horizons, though, I really dig EA and Accugroove gear, as they both allow you to take your tone in almost any direction. If you want to rock and roll (and keep some frosty cold beverages close at hand), it's hard to go wrong with a rig like this:

13. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Tubes and T-Birds are a wonderful thing to behold. Grab hold of a SVP PRO, chuck the 10"s and get some 12"s. Enjoy the wonders of soaring Thunder. Remember it's a Thunderbird not a poppity bird:)
    Happy Times,
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    first off, visit www.basstasters.com and you tell us! ;)

but i'll vote for the Sansamp, too. if its good enough for Rob Deleo of STP, good enough for me. love his tones!

if you've got the moolah, then try Ashdown's RPM-1.
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    tombowlus, I've heard of problems with overheating racks, but you seem to have taken an extreme approach to the problem. :D

...or it's the logical extention of the Tony Levin/Trace Elliot "Musician's Valet" line of stacks:

16. TheAmpNerd

Apr 25, 2004
    Dallas, Texas

You are such a dick! You know how we are all wanting a rig
    just like yours...Especially with that kewl fridge right on top...
    during a gig, when your really 'sveating like a pig' as my India
    Indian buddy used to call it...MAN - OH - MAN is it just nice
    too reach into your fridge/rack and pull out a cold one of your
    choice...and if you are a beer snob like me, this ain't no
    penny-antie beer, is it a fine ale like a Boddington's or a
    Belhaven Wee Heavey or an Anchor, or a...you get the idea...

You get your brew, when you NEED it, and don't need to rely
    on some blonde bomshell with 42Dsss bursting at the seams
    just waiting for your every word to bend over and can't hear
    you as they just unfurl before you....

Of course...on THOSE nights when you EARN your keep and
    the best looking thing for a mile around is 300+ pounds
    and sveating like a pig too...you just reach in the fridge
    and smile helplessly...sorry babe, I brung me own!

Ya, i tell ya, your rig is the ultimate in flexibility.
  17. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks Guys. I appreciate it. Well, I am interested in the BBE BMAx, Sansamp and the SVP-Pro. Listening to them helps but it would be much better to hear them in person. I couldn't find the RBI on there though. No local stores have them to listen to. The Sansamp and the SVP are about the same price so any comparisons or info about what to expect from each one would be appreciated.
    A 2x12 may work well. I was thinking 4x10 as most told me it would get good lows and be very veristle.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You know, that is the mini fridge from our practice room, and it used to sit on top of my practice rig. Our rhythm guitar player thought it'd be a hoot to bring it to a show, and so it was initially brought on a lark, but in reality, it is awefully convenient! Unfortunately, Boddington's is not an option at this bar (and I don't want to offend them by bringing in outside beer - or at least not exclusively outside beer :ninja: ). They do serve Guiness, though, which is nice. And of course, if Miss 42D does happen to stop by, there's nothing wrong with having her service me (with a beverage, that is!).

On a more bass (not Bass) related note, a rack rig with either the Whappo, Jr. or the two VL-210's is a very flexible rig, that is more than capable with either setup. Again, it was my rhythm guitar player behind having me bring both (which were overkill, but really did work well together). On that note, the Whappo, Jr. is probably the most versatile single cab that I have used. It does have two 12's, although each are tuned differently and enclosed in their own internal compartments. In addition, it has a 6" midrange and two silk dome tweeters. Mine has the neo drivers, and it is quite managable, weight wise.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I own both the preamps that I recommended (SVP-Pro, RBI). I've heard good things about other preamps, and have auditioned some of them, but I would not recommend any gear that I haven't actually owned and gigged with.
  20. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks guys.
    Fuzzbass can you tell me what you think the strengths and weaknesses are of each. These are the main 2 I am considering.

Like I said I play a Stingray and a Thunderbird. My Thunderbird seems to be a little more mid-rangy than my Stingray. The more info the better.

Tom, I am open to all cab suggestions, 4x10 or 2x12. It doesn't matter as long as it comes through and it is loud enough for playing without pa.