What is a good short scale bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Squnk, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Squnk

Oct 20, 2002
    Hello! I been playing bass for about awhile now and I think it is about time I treat my self to a new bass. I already have a Squire Affinity P-bass and an Ibanez Roadstar II fretless, both basses are nice but I want a short scale bass with some punch to it. Just to let you know I want a short scale because I kinda have small fingers and i like to play fast and on short scale I can play faster. I prefer a fretless bass but I think a fretless short scale bass would be hard to find. So, I guess I am looking for a good short scale bass (hopefully fretless with line markings)? Do you guys know of any?
  2. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Why short scale? You are limiting your choices by looking for short scale instruments, but if you insist and if you can find one snag a Gibson Les Paul Triumph. They are no longer made but can still be found if you dig around. Check out the Italian band Rovescio Della Medaglia; their bass player used one of those things and it sounded killer.

3. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    My old Gibson Les Paul Triumph made in the mid. 70's. one piece honduran mahogany top and bottom (the body), 3 piece mahogany neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, small pearl block inlays, natural high gloss finish. huge pickups, lots of potentiometers and switches on the front control panel, bass boost (on a passive bass:confused: anyway it boosts:D), tone control and volume pots, phase switch,pup selector sw.....and so on...this is a killer bass!! you cant go wrong with a Gibson LP triumph...If you find one:D
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can get the warwick bolt neck basses in 30" and 32" scales...fretless lined fingerboards are also options.
  5. JahKnow

JahKnow Guest

Kubicki X-Factor!

Peace, Johno!:eek:
  6. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Heh...you can get them, as mentioned above, to also put lines on them...

This is a custom made Warwick Corvette Proline 4-string, in natural flamed maple with ovangkol neck, unlined ebony fretless fingerboard, chrome hardware, and a 30" scale. I just got it...
  7. Uhm....

Indeed: why short scale? I know, you explained because of your small fingers/hand, but IMO your hand size has nothing to do with your size bass...

No matter how small your hands are, if you technics are right you should be able to play whatever kind of bass...and don't get me wrong, I am not saying your technics are not right!;)
    But like stated before, just looking at short scale basses would be a shame since there is so much more out there...

I have small hands too and I play a 35"scale 6 string...just a matter of practise!;)

8. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Wendy is on the money Dude! One of my earliest teachers barely came in at 5'6" and he from the F to the A on the E string of a Jazz Bass, without letting go of the F. It's like the old joke of how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice!
  9. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Fender MusicMaster... Kind of 'Plain Jane-ish'... Like an olive, they are somewhat of an acquired taste, but yummy just the same. Good deals can be had on ebay. This one is modded to bypass the volume and tone controls. The pickup is surprisingly spunky! Nice authorative, throaty, midrange growl... I've never had a problem getting a convincing tone from this axe!

10. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Has anyone tried one of the Epiphone Allen Woody basses? It's a 30"...
  11. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned the Fender Stu Hamm Urge. Is it not a good short scale?
  12. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    if you get a bronco bass you can stick a EMG strat pickup and a btc control - under $500 have a pro-ish sounding bass.

I can recommend a Kubicki, cause I've got one.

I also prefer a shorter scale (not everyone feels you should have to sacrifice playability).
  13. Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Yes she is, my 5 string doublebass (I play it quite frequently) has a 44" scale and I don't have any problem with that, It's all about technique (all right, I don't have short fingers:D) but it's so funny that some guys prefer a short scale bass (I like the sound of my Gibson but almost never play it mostly because of the 30" scale, tooo short for me), for example Stanley Clarke plays a ahort scale Alembic and he's a fantastic double bass player..and his fingers are sooooo long:D well:confused:
    The old Gibsons are not that expencive, that's why I suggested them, otherwise you can find so many expensive brands which make short scale versions of their basses (like Warwick does).....so far this is one of the best short scale basses available on the market but come on, it's really expensive!!!
  14. Well, main reason to say this, is because it would be a shame if you only start looking at short scale basses!

You will be more satisfied if you are able to play on what bass you want, no matter how big it is.

15. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Look around in pawnshops. I found a sweet playing Kay bass a while back in a pawnshop, excellent condition and incredibly easy to play. Cost me a whole $60.

I shouldn't a' sold it. :(