What is a good site to find Vintage Fender Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpalir, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Hey guys I am on a quest to make my first vintage purchase. I have about $2,500 to work with. Also a brand new 2009 Les Paul Studio unplayed in the case I could part with.

Does anyone have any suggestions on any good websites out there?

2. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Elderly Instruments

3. Sounds like if you listed your Les Paul on Craigslist or Ebay and sold it you'd probably get a really decent amount of money to work with. What kind of vintage bass are you looking for? I've seen quite a few show in the classifieds here.

4. gbase.com

5. Bass Emporium has a few as well.

6. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Bass Northwest has more than a few right now...

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I found several of my vintage pieces through gbase.com.
    My oldie Jazz was found in Vintage Guitar Magazine's classifieds, turned out to be a local seller.

8. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    Good guys to deal with too.

9. Nice, made it easy for you to "try before you buy" I bet. I had similar luck when I bought my Ampeg 18" bass cab off ebay. The seller was very local -- like 10 minutes from my house!

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Right now I'd say ebay is a sick place to get vintage basses - I've been doing research all summer because I buy and sell and you can get just about anything in the late 70's all original for $1000-$1500 depending on condition and color. I've seen some all original go for under $800. The only thing that sucks about getting it on there is not knowing where it came from...but that's usually the case with any store that sells old stuff. The $1500 end is single-owner, very descriptive sellers. I bought a '78 original red P-bass (with pup covers) for $700 a couple months ago from a pawn shop. Older basses (pre-1974) climb in price, of course. Late 60's stuff has been going for $2000-$4000 if I remember correctly. I think ebay is BY FAR the best place in this economy if you have enough trust in sellers (to be honest, it's not much worse than anywhere else). Stores and craigslist are slow to follow supply and demand curves. Auctions follow them too fast I think.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  12. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, it was easy to drive 20min down and see it, but it had the crustiest 12-15yr old set of roundwound strings, no set up, and was very gunky.
    Yup bought it anyway! :D

13. James Jamerson would have been proud of the gunk! :bassist:

14. jpalir

jpalir

Oct 20, 2008
    La
    Just do not want to get scammed by ebay on something like that. Thanks for all the info.

15. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    +1 on Elderly....big selection, very reputable

16. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you buy on ebay from a seller that has extensive feedback, and use Paypal to pay for the transaction, it's very difficult to get scammed on ebay. Sellers are at a disadvantage there, and if you get something you don't like, you will get your money back.

Take this auction, for example. A seller with that much feedback makes his living on ebay. There's no way he's going to risk his ebay/Paypal account scamming someone for a couple grand. He says "No returns accpeted", but that's bull. If you feel he was less than honest and want to return the bass, ebay will force him to do it.

You could buy from one of those sites listed above, but my experience has shown me that you'll end up paying upwards of DOUBLE what you would for the same bass if you bought on ebay. In addition, you have no guarantee that you won't get scammed from one of those dealers. And if you do, unlike ebay, you'll have nowhere to go if things go wrong.

17. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What smcd mentions is true...vintage dealers are very proud of the prices of their gear. I enjoy grinding them on their asking prices.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021