what is a good tune to cover?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 6, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i need some help thinking of a good song or two to cover. my band has about 13 originals and we are getting ready to play out. so we want to have a cover or two. we do stuff along the lines of switchfoot and u2. anyone have any?
  2. So you like U2.... how about covering something of theirs, like Mysterious Ways, New Year's Day, or Walk On, just to name a few? They're some of my personal favorites and are bound to get a favorable reaction.
  3. Well if you want to do the cover staples you could just go ahead and do Master of Puppets and Stairway. I realize they're not really your style, but everyone covers those songs.
  4. Do something unexpected, like a Jackson 5 or Tony Bennett tune, in your band's style. My old band used to do 'You are my sunshine' Ramones style- a good combination, I thought.
    Wait, I just re-read your original post. Switchfoot & U-2, eh? Good taste, youngster(I assume). Maybe Sade, or Deep Purple. Let us know what you do.
  5. My favorite tunes to cover on the bass:

"Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood
    "Electric Avenue" by Eddy Grant
    "Hot in Here" by Nelly

Make sure that open E string's in tune :)
  6. BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Perhaps do covers that really go away from what you're doing, OR do covers that let you stooge out and put the crowd in the palm of your hand.

Do something like "In the Wee Small Hours" (see Sinatra's version on the album of the same name, great labum BTW) or something like "True" by Spandau Ballet...

Perhaps you get the picture?
  7. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Don't forget Mustang Sally and Browneyed girl :p
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    My Generation - The Who, but do it as a slow, lounge singer type tune.

Tune to C and play the Thong Song by Kyuss.

FHG - Tenacious D. ".... Sometimes that not right"

When the Levee Breaks - Led Zep

Children of the Grave - Black Sabbath
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Take a song unexpected of you guys and make it fit your genre. I'd like to hear a U2 style version of some Motorhead tune or something.
  10. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Skynryd is always good cover.

Eagles are good cover.

Most of what mentioned above good cover.

Dwight Yokem Good cover.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues