1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a good way to clean a graphite fretboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by leanne, Mar 27, 2006.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I need to know how to clean a graphite fretboard, especially around the frets. I've been leaning towards using a fine steel wool, but I've seen quite varied opinions on this as far as graphite is concerned. I would think that even coarse steel wool wouldn't really harm graphite, but some of what I've read makes nervous, even though I think otherwise...

Thanks
    Leanne

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    are you trying to clean your fretboard, or sand it down? why are you using steel wool in the first place? (ie, what are you trying to clean off) i havent gotten anything on my composite fretboard sticky enough not to be removed by a 3M high-quality cloth.

3. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    i am just trying to clean the gunk off the fretboard... it is especially built up around the frets.

4. Roger Sadowsky recommends, in the FAQ section on his site, to use windex and a toothbrush on his finished maple boards and then polish them. I'd imagine you could do the same with a graphite board, though I wouldn't bother with the polish myself, I'd probably just wipe it down with a soft cloth after scrubbing it with windex. You shoud try and contact the manufacturer or check their site to see if they can recommend something.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Windex will work, as will naptha and mineral spirits (paint thinner)

Don't use steel wool or abrasive plastic pads. You'll scratch the graphite.

Wrap a little bit of cloth around the edge of a screwdriver or wooden matchstick to get close in to the fret. If you use a screwdriver make sure it doesn't poke through the cloth.

It's really an easy job and not worth getting psyched up about.