1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a Hohner J Bass worth.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Feb 25, 2008.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    My LMS has a very nice looking Hohner J fretless bass. I asked the owner of the age and he had no idea. Someone just came and traded it in a couple months ago. The fretboard has partial markers on it. I am just trying to see if it is worth what they have it priced at which is $400. US. How is the quality of them. Would they be compariable to a MIM J Bass? I did hear him once call it a B bass. Thanks.

2. I have a fretted JJ Pro albeit with a non-Hohner replacement neck.

I paid $200.00 for it which I consider a bargain. I like it very much. Its fit and finish is very good. The body is satin-finished dark quilted maple and it looks great and it uses EMGs.

The neck is a late 60's Matsumoku-produced Jazz clone and is of excellent quality. Recently, I've replaced the bridge with a Schaller roller model.

P1010008.

I also have a Hohner B Bass V which is neck-through and also has EMGs. This is my main gigging bass.

P4070581.

Personally, I think they are very underrated.

3. Carias

Carias

Aug 31, 2006
    Miami
    Try the Bbass V. Excellent, Jazz sound, very light and neckthru. You can get it on the evil bay for $350. There is also the B2AV, which is the headless version, awesome!! Maybe $450. Korean basses but good construction and sound!
    Best,

4. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I really not looking for a hohner but since my LMS has one it brought an intrest to me since I dont have a fretless. I was thinking about trading my ESP 6 string for it or a Artcore.

5. As for fretless, I have two - a defretted old Vantage double 'P' - I don't have a pic yet as I'm in the middle of renovating it - but it plays great with much 'Mwah' and sounds amazing with double P pups, and roundwounds - tuned EADG.

P1010165.

My main fretless is a beautiful old (1986 I think) Westone Thunder III Second Edition.

P4070583.

This is another neck-through. Woods are maple, walnut & ash, with ebony fingerboard. Active electrics with passive treble run-off, P and Humbucking pups both serial/parallel switchable. I have Rotosound Flats on this an it's tuned BEAG.

Again, tremendously under-rated - and dirt cheap on Ebay.
    Beautiful build