Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a J-retro?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 16, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I'm sort of a newbie at bass equipment, sorry.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    J-Retro is a VERY good preamplifier designed to fit in as a direct replacement fir Jazz-type basses. There is also a version (U-Retro) that can fit other types of basses. You can get more info at http://www.j-retro.co.uk/

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
  4. I love living in england! :)
    i just found out that the J-retro is made in oxford....really close to where i'm going to uni, and the main UK distributor is the allparts outlet located in the same town i am going to uni at.
    the next 3 years is gonna be reeaaaallllll productive ;) :D

*Si*

5. The J-Retro is an incredible upgrade for your bass! I had the Dude put one in a Jazz fretless I picked up from him recently, and the difference is astounding.

There is also a stompbox version available if you don't want one on-board.

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    With the j-retro installed, and if you use the passive mode, is the tone of the jazz bass just like it was before the j-retro install?

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, you have complete bypass. If you want, there is also a J-Retro Deluxe, which provides passive tone control.

8. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    drum roll please.......... which is better...... sadowsky outboard or the j retro out board? ooooh aahhhhhhhh

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey...has anyone stuck a J or U retro in something like a P/J bass?

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I haven't yet, but I am planning to see if U-Retro from my DP Custom would fit my Precision Special. If it does, I plan to do so, as I am very pleased with J-Retro on my Jazz.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    That would all depend on whether you want midrange controls or not. To me the midrange boost/cut and frequency sweep is the best part of John East's preamps but Roger is pretty firm in his opinion that midrage controls aren't for bass...to each their own!

12. Midrange control on the Retro is handy for slap tones on fretted basses (think 3 band EQ on Stingrays, but the Retro is sweepable!), and is mwaaah-velous for enhancing a fretless' tone.

13. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    the knobs on the j-retro seem alot taller than the standard knobs. don't they look out of place on the bass?

14. Midrange controls are very important IMO when playing fingerstyle for boosting low mids for a really sweet sound and for cutting mids when playing slap

15. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    They are tall because they are a top and bottom knobs.

16. Originally posted by savagelucy
    the knobs on the j-retro seem alot taller than the standard knobs. don't they look out of place on the bass?

I think the Retro (and it's knobs) looks pretty cool :)

[​IMG]

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Just measured three basses as follows:

Standard Fender Jazz knobs sit 22/32nds off the plate.

J-Retro knobs sit 30/32nds off the plate.

Fender 62 Reissue stack knobs sit 30/32nds off the plate.

So they are a bit taller off the plate than standard Jazz knobs but are the exact same height off the plate as the Fender '62 RI stack knobs but just appear to be taller becasue the '62 RI stack pot knobs are bigger in diameter.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Here's a better angle of a J-Retro installed in a Lull V4 which shows how tall the knobs are off the plate. Never had anyone complain about the knob height before!

[​IMG]

19. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Is the only place to buy a J-Retro from the J-Retro site?

20. trane

trane

Jun 3, 2002
    Tokyo, Japan
    Steve Dude Barr (our very own Dude here on TalkBass) will happily sell you one. Although I haven't bought a J-Retro from him, I am a customer. He's an upright dealer, no BS. :D

Go here: The Dudepit