1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is a metronome?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Obsolex, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    ive heard it a million of times, isnt it just like a beat/drum machine?

2. I may not post the best answer to your question, but as far as I know, a metronome is a device that counts the BPM (beats per minute). They are often seen atop pianos, and have one hand like a clock with an arrow on the top, and an adjustable weight on the bottom. When the hand is released, it sways back and forth like a pendulum, according to the BPM you set it at. It's an excellent device for practicing time to, and yes, they come in electronic versions nowadays. Hope that helped a little!

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    No it's not. A "metronome" is something keeps time perfectly. old ones are cool, i collect them. but all it does is keep time, and you keep time with it, or play over it. it's not a drum machine.

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    A small person that lives in a large city:D

5. LOL!! :p

6. Jeff Berlin must be turning over in his grave........

Oh? he's not dead?

7. It's a thing that goes tick tick tick tick. It's great fun to put one in a plain brown box and drop it off at the post office. :D

8. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    It's actually a gnome that lives in the city.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Deja Vu? Ed is the one to ask, but it's sort of like - if you don't know, then it's probably too late already!! ;)