What is a midi pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by danqi, Mar 17, 2002.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    And what is the point of having one?

I think this is my first post in "Pickups".:cool:
  2. Orthanc ....... LOR fan? ;)

A MIDI pickup is used to turn played notes directly into a MIDI bitstream with no analog intervention. Mostly used in conjunction with a sampler so the music can be used in various different ways at a later date or different studio.

MIDI pickups are useful if you want to play a bassline, then later change the key or even re-arrange the notes without having to re-record the bassline. (MIDI pickups can be used for most instruments, but I'm only referring to the bass here)

MIDI pickups cannot be plugged into an amp. They must have their output sent to a synthesizer to reconstruct the original bassline.

They see little other practical use as they do change the tone of the instrument somewhat and tend to be hideously picky to tuning. An advantage they have is in being digital, they are noiseless. Many players have said their music loses its "soul" after being MIDI sampled. IMO, I think that weather it loses something or not is the same arguement between passive/active pickups - to each his own ;)
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    on a few of my basses, i have the rmc piezo/synth pickups in my bridge, and they work excellently. they convert the notes from each string into control voltages that will then trigger synth notes. i can use this in conjunction with my magnetics, and even with the piezos and magnetics, all together.

i've gotten some pretty funky sounds combining synth and magnetic pickup bass.
  4. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Ok, got it, makes sense.
  5. MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    Actually, I have a friend with a midi out and post-playing you can turn your notes into anything you want. Like, his bass can sound like a freakin organ if he wants. Pretty killer stuff.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    JT, you are one sick man:D