What is a nice Amp for my Aguilar GS212

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by him666, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I have a Aggie GS212 running with a Peavey T Max. But i would like a different Amp.
    What do you recommend to check out?
    The Aguilar AG500SC?

I would like a fat sound, but i don't really like Ampeg.
  2. I use the Thunderfunk with a GS212, and am pleased as punch. Fat, round, full, and all such synonyms.

I've also used GK and Aguilar with it, and have been pleased, but less so. Aguilar/Aguilar combination was too dark for me.
  3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I used a GK 1001RB II with my Aguilar 212, and was quite pleased with the results. I just offed the GK and got a Mesa 400+, and that sound pretty darned good too.....
  4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I think the important questions to ask yourself (in no particular order) are:

1. How much weight am I willing to put up with?
    2. How much am I willing to spend?
    3. How "quick" a response to I want from the cab?

Here's the deal. The GS 212, like any other cab, is going to impart a certain color to your sound. From my own experience with Aguilar cabs and 212's, that color is going to be a full bottom, a bit mid-shy, crisp high-treble, and moderate response.

The question is, do you go with an amp that pushes further in that direction, or an amp that works against the cab's tendencies.

Amps that accentuate the cab's tendencies:
    Ampeg or anything with lots of tubes
    Fender Showman-type tube preamps
    Trace Elliot

Amps that will really work against the cab's tendencies:
    Anything solid state (GK, etc)
    SWR heads
    Crest CA-series power amp with a crips preamp (Demeter, Read)--$$$$ and lbs.

Stuff in the middle:
    Mesa M600 or Walkabout
    Aguilar SC500
    Maybe Ampeg PB800

I would think the M-Pulse 600 would be a solid choice--good price, power, weight ratio At least worth a try against the Aguilar.
  5. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I used an Ampeg 3Pro with excellent results for several years. Now I have a Mesa M-Pulse 600 - also excellent (when it's working right). It's a bit ill at the moment and going for repair. I'll be glad to have it back though.

In the meantime I got an Ampeg SVP Pro and am awaiting delivery (Monday) of a QSC 2402. I loaded the SVP with 4 Telefunken 12AX7's and a Mullard 12AU7 - just a little slice of heaven there....If you like fat, this'll do it.

I know you said you don't like Ampegs, but they do suit this cabinet very well, as does the Mesa. I like a fat, creamy tone with some punch in it and they give it to me. Me (and the cabinet) like them a lot.
  6. Ok, well i haven't tryed Ampeg on my Aguilar. I just don't like Ampeg on Ampeg very much. Thanks for your reply :)

I use a Musicman Stingray5 as my main bass.
    And my Aggie 212 is 8Ohm (600 watt)
  7. hb74

Feb 21, 2003
    Italy - Lecco
    I got the same cab and used it with an Ampeg SVT3 that i sold later due to lack of headroom. I Solved the problem with a Markbass P501 but I'm not completely happy with the texture of the pre section.

I can make a deal buying a WT550 so.....any experience with eden heads?

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    You'll definitely want to give that 8 ohm Aggie cab a lot of juice. In light of that fact, I'd recommend a preamp, power amp configuration.
  9. I guess that is pretty expensive, isn't it? Maybe ill add a GS210 with the GS212, then they become 4 OHM..
  10. Any poweramp advice?

I found the Carvin B1500 Head.
    Its delivers 700 watts at 8Ohm. Does the sound of Carvin fits my Aguilar cab?
  11. Ashdown ABM500 EVOll with 2 GS112's.

Got it, love it!!!!

'nuff said...........