Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a nice tube amp to go with the Aguilar GS212?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by him666, Nov 11, 2005.

1. I've got an Aguilar GS212, and now im wondering if there is any tube amp who fits perfect on a GS212. Any advice which amp i should check out?
    thanks

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    The obvious choice is an all aguilar rig... the DB359 if you can find one. You might also look at the Mesa 400+. Depends on what sound you are looking for

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I played one gig with a Mesa 400+ through an Aguilar GS212, and honestly, I wasn't thrilled. It seemed pretty muddy, and indistinct. Low end is the Aggies strength, and it was just too much of a good thing. I had just obtained the Mesa head, and that gig made me wonder if the Mesa was right for me. I got a Bergantino NV610 then, and found the Mesa WAS the right head.

I am of the impression that tube heads just work better with sealed cabs.

If I were intent on using an Aguilar GS212, I'd look into a solid state or hybrid head.

4. Are there any smaller sealed cabs (2x12,4x10 etc) that work well for tube amps? I haven't seen many...or any!

5. So any new thoughts? Maybe not Mesa 400+ then, but maybe a full tube Ampeg?

Is anyone else using a full tube amp with a GS212?
    Or should I get a different cab?
    What is a nice cab(and still transportable) for a full tube amp?

6. I saw a bass player with an Ampeg SVT Classic with the Aguilar GS212. It was a very small stage, with no pa support. I thought it sounded great, the SVT provided sweet midrange to the scooped Aggies.

I used to play through a Sunn 300T with the GS212...also a great combination. This is probably one of the best tones I've had.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A buddy of mine uses an SVT-AV with his. He loves it.

Someone else I know used to use a vintage SVT with two of 'em. Loved it as well.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    What would be wrong with a traynor?