1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a Peavey Foundation's "sound"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brumshine, Mar 19, 2013.

1. brumshine

brumshine

Apr 27, 2012
    I just picked up my 94 foundation and I love it. The rock fender boy guitarists that I play with are going to be asking what the new axe is and why I didn't just buy a P-bass... To my ears this is much more rock than a typical fender jazz and hold's it own when compared to any P bass I've played.

Is there a story behind these things? Like Peavey built it to compete with the Jazz? What is the "accepted used" for these basses? Country, Jazz, Rock, all the above?

2. Waldo19

Waldo19

Jul 9, 2011
  3. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I started out on a mid-80s Foundation that was really killer. Even through the late 90s the Foundation's quality was quite good. It is a simple bass for sure, but Peavey gets it right. The Ibanez equivalent is a piece of crap. Now when it comes to the Peavey Fury that's s different story...

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    The Foundation is Peavey's longest lived bass model (for a reason). It never had an image attached to it, so it fits in with any genre of music. The Foundation, IMO, is the definition of a "working man's bass". Affordable (when new), solid construction, great sound, reliable, but no frills. I love mine.

5. timber22

timber22 Supporting Member

I had a really nice sunburst one for a while. Like most older USA Peaveys it was very good quality. More of a jazz sound than a precision sound to my ears. I believe it could be used for a wide variety of music.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I had a Foundation bass but regretfully traded it a while back. Mine had a boomy bass sound, not very crisp (ie. not really a funk slap player) but great for rock and other genres. Older Foundations are somewhat collectable - those with the Super Ferrite pickups.

7. The later Foundations tend to fall somewhere between a Jazz and a P tonally. To my ear they have more bite than a precision and more warmth than a Jazz. I've heard them referred to as more modern sounding than passive Fenders, but not as brittle as aggressive as active basses. I really don't think this is very helpful because every term used to describe tone is subjective, but to me the late Foundations are just very flexible. If you want to add even more flexibility switch out the stock capacitor with a .082 and you can roll off even more treble to make it a thump monster at the turn of the knob.

8. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    If you really want that thing to sing Google the S1 Jazz pickup mod to it. Runs the pickups in series to act like a humbucker. Gives a little more bite for sure.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Because I'm the bass player and I decide what gear I like."

Enjoy your new bass.

10. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

Dec 4, 2012
    QFT/QFE

11. tgriley62

tgriley62

Jan 25, 2011
    S.E. Mo
    What is a Peavey Foundation's "sound"?

One word: Amazing

12. brumshine

brumshine

Apr 27, 2012
    Just FYI, I brought my newly acquired foundation that still had the RUSTY strings that were on it when I bought it to practice last night. I plugged into my SVT II pro with 8x10 cab and started practice without saying a word about the new bass. By the end of the song the guitarists and drummer both were moved by how great the sound was. They couldn't come up with the slightest negative comment. No explanations needed. This thing rocks, I'm going to be holding on to it tightly!

BRUMSHINE

13. Congrats on the new bass! Welcome to Peavey Nation. Now keep it to yourself so the prices stay sane!

14. Arial Bender

Arial Bender

Oct 28, 2012
    Largo Fla.
    The Twins.