What is a piccolo Bass ????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PeaceFrog, Feb 13, 2005.

1. PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ok, I've heard of these but I don't know what they are. So, what is a piccolo bass?
  2. Piccolo Bass is a bass guitar that is tuned one octave higher than a standard bass. Obviously, this requires different gauge strings (lighter) to accomplish the task.

Some Reasons for Piccolo Bass:

Obviously one can achieve higher range with a Pic Bass

As chords tend to sound muddy on a regular bass, chords can sound quite sweet on a piccolo.

Midi converters don't track well on low frequencies (noted delays and inaccuracies due to Frequencies being "close" together) Consequently, a piccolo bass makes a much better midi instrument. (Then the midi is just transformed down an octave.)

Brian Bromberg uses piccolo basses (steel and nylon string) quite extensively in his album "Bassically Speaking". I highly recommend checking it out.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I have three or four extra short scale six string piccolo basses lying around the house.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    A pic is a bass strung and tuned an octave up, like the bottom four strings on a guitar. It's somewhat contreversial, many call it dumb, but it allows us four stringers to expand our range significantly. It's definately worth trying if you have an extra bass laying around.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Really? People get upset about that? I bet it's the same crowd who proposed the underwear fine in VA. Jackasses.
  6. I would love to be in a band where the guitarist plays a baritone and I play a piccolo bass.

Piccolo basses are fun but outside of solo work I personally feel they're somewhat useless.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I guesss its here more than there. I brought my pic to a recording session to double the bassline and the engineer and my band went through the roof because "a bass is supposed to be an octave BELOW the guitars"

Ignorance I guess.
  8. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I tried to do the piccolo thing on my Rick once, but I had to raise the action too high for comfort in order to get the strings to quit laying right across the first fret. A differently cut nut was in order, but I didn't want to go that far. From what I understand, though, other basses don't have that issue. Piccolos are fun though, it's fun to shoot the chords and flail away in that register utilizing your hard-learned bass guitar playing techniques (as opposed to just playing a regular guitar with its shorter scale length and close string spacing).
  9. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    A picollo bass is a tiny bass you blow on.
  10. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    What brands make piccolo basses these days, i love to check one out!
  11. I'd love to make a track with bass and pic bass insted of those d**n guitars
  12. Just take any bass & string it with 'piccolo' strings- Ken Smith makes them. I've done it w/ a Warwick bolt-on Thumb 4- adjusted the truss rod, & away we went.
  13. groove9028

May 25, 2004
    Well, Whats a Tenor Bass? :confused:
  14. i think its a 4 string ADGC, not sure though
  15. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp

underwear fine?? :confused:
  16. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

good man !
  17. Rakie

Rakie Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to...

A Tenor bass is tuned one string up... meaning a standard four string would be EADG... But a Tenor would be strung ADGC.

Im not 100% sure, but I think a piccolo bass is tuned exactly like a guitar, however it sounds like a bass, just played really high up, opposed to a guitar.
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That would be correct. Wooten uses one quite a bit.
  19. steve21

steve21 Banned

While we're at it, I suppose... can anybody tell me what one would call a bass strung up DGCF (in a similar vein to the tenor ADGC, just one more string up)
  20. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    alto bass, teleologically.

or maybe... countertenor bass? or castrato bass? nononowait... that's guitar. :)