Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is a Piezo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MadPink, Mar 12, 2002.

1. On the Stingray they have something called a Piezo, what does it do? I've never really seen one of these before.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A piezo crystal emits electricity when pressure is applied.
    This can be used to make a pickup, e.g. for acoustic guitars and basses. There are piezos underneath the strings, and the string vibration that puts changing pressure on the piezo will be turned into an electric signal.

Piezos are also found in some disposable lighters. You press down a lever and the piezo will emit a spark.

BTW: This belongs in Pickups.

3. oh, okay...Ill ask about it over there...but before I do, maybe you can tell me what it does to the sound of the bass..

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just let a moderator move it, there's no need to open a new thread.

Usually a piezo will give you a more trebly, more acoustic-sounding sound. I can only describe it as a mixture of bass and a nylon guitar, depending on the setup and choice of strings.
    One advantage of piezos is that you're not limited to steel or nickel strings, you can use nylon or other materials too.

5. so it wouldn't really be useful in a hard-progressive rock band or would it?

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    MadPink.... yes and no. sure, if you are playing full blast a lot, then you wouldnt want to use it, but you could still blend it in with some chorus or flange to add to your sound.

if you were doing a part where your guitarist was doing an acoustic part, then it would be good to solo the piezos, or a little blend

basically, dont rule anything out before you hear it. anything is fair game when it comes to making my sound better

7. Ill have to go check one out sometime and fool around with it for a few hours at the store. Thanks for the replys.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    On Vic Wooten's albums are some songs with piezo sound. Check it out and see if you like it.

9. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i have a stingray 5 w/ the piezo's and although they sound RAD, It's a very different sound than from what you hear on victor wooten's albums. Even when i'm playing full blast, I blend in just a little of the piezo's. They sort of take out the midrange boom, and add some edge.. hard to describe, but definately worth trying.