Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a pluck?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Lovebown, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I've heard this word used lots on these forums, what the hell is it?
    Is a pluck when you play the string with your finger, like usual, or is the pluck the same thing as POP (as in Slap and pop). Someone please clearify...

thanks,
    lovebown

2. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    It means when you play a string using a plectrum, or pick to our American friends, although I suppose it could also mean a string played with the fingers.

3. techtone

techtone

Jan 7, 2001
    Pluck could also mean the same thing as pop (like in the "open hammer pluck" slap technique)

4. Deeter

Deeter

Dec 5, 2000
    San Fransico, CA
    Well, a pluck is when a man and a woman love each other very much, and they . . . Say, do you like gladiator movies? ;):D

(I probably dated myself with that "Airplane" reference. :))

5. A pluck is a dumb....*uck...

6. bsplyr54

bsplyr54 Guest

Mar 3, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    To the best of my knowledge, the pluck can mean one of two things. The first, is exactly the same as a pop, as someone wrote earlier, making a refference to the open-hammer-pluck method. The second, is one which is used for double stops (notes played together on different strings at the same time, usually in hordal context). use the same methos of hooking your fingers around the string as if you were to pop the note, but let your fingers gently come of the strings, sounding the note, but not letting the string strike the fretboard. I think this is called a pizzicato pluck, but i could be wrong. if anyone feels like correcting me, go ahead, it will help me too.

7. a pluck is also a term used in older, badly dubbed asian movies.

example: bruce lee slaps a guy up side the head, man responds "what the pluck was that for?"

or

the phrase "Oh my god!, its plucking godzilla!"

8. smpguitar

smpguitar

Mar 3, 2001
    A pluck can be two things....first when you "pluck" or play the string with a pick....and the second is when you kinda lift the string and let it go (as in funk bass ya know)

9. smpguitar, funk is a feeling, dude, not a technique. Slapping and popping is not funk bass, but funk bass can use that technique. Funk is Rocco Prestia, Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, Randy Hope-Taylor, James Jamerson, Bootsy Collins etc.