1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zaney, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Zaney

Zaney

Aug 17, 2007
    Hampshire, UK
    Someone suggested I get this if I'm using a LM11 + Korg tuner in rack case.
    Haven't got a clue what it is.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I was going to say that it's a method of separating the uneducated from their cash, but your way is nicer...

One of these will do anything a power "conditioner" will do, except that it weighs less, doesn't waste rack space, and has a nice built-in extension cord:

http://www1.bottomdollar.com/user_sales_getprod.php/masterid=25914058/lot_id=9598847/

- georgestrings

3. Zaney

Zaney

Aug 17, 2007
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah a surge protector. I'm in the UK and we use these.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Surge protection is good, though most gear today has it built in. The term 'power conditioner' has become almost irrelevant, as it's now applied to any power strip. Bottom line, true power conditioning is unnecessary, all you need is a well made power strip, and the most you should pay for that is maybe 40 quid.

5. xbrandonx

xbrandonx

Sep 27, 2008
    x502x
    a one space surge protector. Might have some nifty lights. I have one, mainly so on dark stages the lights shine into my rack drawer so I can see what I'm doing without having to hold a flashlight. If you want to keep your rack small, a power strip in the back of a case will do fine.

6. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    What's a power conditioner?
    It's a vehicle to start a thread with multiple oposing opinions that has been beat to death.

7. I used to do the power strip thing velcroed to the inside of my rack. It worked but I found it really messy, since the wires were falling everywhere, and the velcro didn't stick very well when you transported your rack from gig to gig. I finally broke down and got a power conditioner and it does make it easier to manage my wires and things stay plugged in during transporting. I also had a problem with the bass vibrating some of the heavier power supplies out of the power strip. They are a bit overpriced though. If they would come down in price to around $40 then I'd say it would be more worth it.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Rapco used to make a 1 space, 19" rack outlet strip with an on/off switch that was cheap and got the power distribution thing done cleanly.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the opinions seem pretty unanimous to me.

it's a cool-looking power strip with lights for the rest of the rack.

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I heard this stuff is 'bleep'n golden!':

2mcfsoy.jpg

11. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It's a 1U power strip that holds my hacked up Boss TU-2 tuner that I put in it.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020