1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smerbass, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Smerbass

Smerbass

Mar 20, 2009
    hey guys, could you tell me what is a pre amp?
    i shearch in google, but i dont understand what is or what it does. can you plz help me with this doubt?

2. There are a couple of good threads explaining the subject but here is a very basic explanation:

A preamp, in its true sense of the word, is essentially a device which boosts the signal coming from the bass for it to be able to be amplified by the amplifier. Often however, the term preamp is used to describe also those units which have the preamp as described and eq processing controls.

These can either be separate units or else they are often found integrated within a unit housing the amplifier as well.

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  4. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    pre - before
    amp - amplifier

Anything your signal goes through before getting to the power amp is a preamp.

I suppose this means I can start referring to my ears as my "postamp"

"Man my guitar players tone sounds like garbage when it goes through my postamp"

5. Smerbass

Smerbass

Mar 20, 2009
    thanks guys, i understand now :D