1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a reliable amp brand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bilby, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm looking for a reliable amp that will help me cut through anything but at the same time I can blend in if I want I like to have that kind of lead bass sound, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
    Also which is better Solid State or tube when looking for an amp like this?
    Where would be a good place to look?

2. Carrots.

No seriously you need to give us more information. What are your tonal goals? What is your budget? What cab are you using? How loud do you need to be? Do you have size restrictions or weight limits?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    GK generally has a good reputation for being heavy duty. My Ampeg V4 still had the original tubes and caps from the early 70s and it's still kicking. That seems reliable to me.

4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I wouldnt say solid state is more reliable then tubes. Maybe it needs a bit more maintenance.

Reliable brands ? Hartke, GK. They all have their duds once in awhile. But with the internet your gonna hear about every bad one.

5. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    what do mean by tonal goals?

6. What do you want to sound like?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

So you're looking for a tube or solid state amp that either cuts through or sits back in the mix, for either lead or rhythm section playing.

Huh. You may need more specificity.

8. lowend1

lowend1

Feb 15, 2005
    What kind of sound do you prefer? If you're into Motown we would recommend a different amp than if you play drop-tuned metal.

9. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    A growl on the low end but on the higher end nice and smooth without getting all punchy and twangy sounding but the band I'm in we are trying to stay on Experimental music so I have to be versatile but that's my preference. Do you understand?

10. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    BurningSkies I was asking which would be better SS or Tube. An amp That can do Lead Bass sound it can cut through or if I feel like blending in I can do that with just one amp

11. Yep. You dont know what you want.

I suggest you go out and try as many different amps as possible with your cab and bass.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like tubes better but it really doesn't matter. You should be able to do whatever you want with any amp.

13. ^^ this

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Reliability doesn't come from the brand. It comes from how you treat it and how well the amp is made. The same branding appears on amps of vastly varying quality, and thus reliability.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    For reliability I would suggest either a solid state or a hybrid amp if you prefer the tube sound.

Most any amp on the market will have tone controls to set the overall sound of the amp. So there's your versatility.

As far as name brands, Behringer is the best.

-------------------------

2 of the above statements are true and one is not. You decide which. :ninja:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well one is true ;) But I don't see SS amps as any more reliable than tube amps. Once in a while a tube goes out, sure, but that's something most people can fix by themselves, and I've had just as many problems with SS amps as tube amps over my lifetime. Take care of your gear, it takes care of you.

17. Considering this is false....

Sounds like you like Behringer gear... :ninja:

18. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Fender Super Bassman if you can afford it. Fender Rumble 350 if you can't.

19. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    If you are in to experimental i would suggest either Roland Cube or a line 6 with built in effects. Not my cup of tea, but might be good for you.

My favorite would be an old traynor monoblock head with an ampeg 8x10 cab. That sucker would punch like Mohamid Ali

20. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    For reliable sound, I always use one and only one brand: a back-up. They ALL break.