1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a sansamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ladros2, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. ladros2


    Jun 2, 2005
    Everybody talks about them, what are they?

    Every minute detail please!
  2. The 0x

    The 0x

    Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Little boxes that supposedly make only ordinary gear sound better, adds warmth, but doesn't add a "tube-like" sound like most people think they do.
  3. I'd say they give a good tube-like overdrive, it isnt spot on, but its pretty damned close

    The one i use is the bass driver DI, its basically an effects pedal, that you can use as a pre-amp (you can use it straight to a power amplifer or the power amp in on your amp), it also has an XLR output, that can be used to connect you to the main board for when you are playing with a PA, this is good in that you can add some colour to your signal unlike with the basica run-of-the-mill DI
  4. ladros2


    Jun 2, 2005
    Can i use one along with my current head/cabs? Or will I need a seperate power amp or something?

    Sorry, didn't see mohawk's post when i posted. Any idea's on price in a US shop? My parents will be there soon and may ask them to pick one up for me.
  5. syciprider

    syciprider Banned

    May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    You can use it as sort of an effect pedal (EQ/ pre pre amp).

    I have a GT2. It gives me a nice overdriven sound with a hint of raunch.
  6. slagbass


    Apr 5, 2005
    Full name is Sans Amp Bass Driver DI - made by Tech21. A search will get you all the specs. Basically a DI box with tone shaping capability. Some people use them as a stomp box.

    My favourite application (when there is a good house PA) is to send a DI feed to the mains and ask the soundman to give me some bass in the monitors.

    Pretty sweet lugging an "amp" that can fit in the pocket of your gig bag!
  7. chaosMK


    May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use my Sansamp to produce a really thick high presence alternate tone. I've found that with the Bass 400 (a tube amp), the Sansamp actually reduces the tuby tone qualities.

    I use the Bass 400's regular tone for more lead stuff and when I want to cut through better (natural tone does this very well), and use the Sansamp when I want a less up front sound, but heavier bottom presence. It was the opposite with my old Ashdown amp. It's a good tool, all in all, and will make most of your dreams come true. Maybe a tad pricey- runs around $180-200 in the US.
  8. Jack


    Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    See the clue is the name:

    Sans (without)

    All the convenience of a DI box, all the sound of an amp, almost, if theres a PA. :smug:
  9. keb


    Mar 30, 2004
    What Jack said. They're units designed to emulate the sound of a miked amp and speaker cabinet; they use a combination of different EQs and filters to get that sound. IMO the best way to use them is direct to a mixing board or PA, but they can be used as stomp box effects.