Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a set of Lane Poors worth these days?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pickles, Oct 6, 2005.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lane Poors are no longer being made, and are very desirable pickups. Has this turned into a "vintage" market? I can't find many references to sales, only "wanted" ads.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

LP's typically go individually for $150 up depending on the pup. MM's usually $250 up at the top end of the scale while the jazz pups are usually at the lower end of the scale. Sets aren't as often seen but typically at least $200. They show periodically but not often.

Few months ago a guy sold his collection of mostly 5 string LPs (half dozen of them) and one guy bought all but one for $150 - $200 each and the 4 lead MM5 went for about $375. 4 lead LP dual coils are more rare.

LPs basically sound like Barts but more refined, clearer, with more top end - without the muffeled aspect of tone that's common with most Barts. In all not that much different and debateable as to worth the difference even if you can locate one but I think of them as a top of the line Bart and prefer the few I've heard and have over most Barts.

But if you don't like Barts, you're not likely to find the tone of LP's appealing. There are old reviews scattered about when they were still available that say they suck. They aren't everybody's cup of tea not matter what Flea plays (and it's my understanding Fleas were custom wound for him to a total of 7 pups - the source being someone who spoke with one of the two guys that used to wined Lanes pups).