Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is a Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tkarter, Feb 5, 2004.

1. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I ask this because I have played only Fenders. I got my eye on a Stingray. This stingray is the Sandra Bullock of basses as far as looks. I can't make myself play it as of yet cuz I know I would carry it out.

So is a Stingray and a Sterling like a P compared to a Jazz?

Never seen a Sterling in the shop I buy my basses from so how hard are they to come by?

I seriously want this Stingray. I don't care if it sounds good it looks good. Not what I would be happy with if it didn't sound good. Ya know what I mean? Gotta have it. Unless yall can straighten me out.

tk

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Do a search. A musicman (any of them) sounds ALOT different than any Fender.

You have to play one to know how it sounds...

Other than that, I have no idea.

3. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Thanks PollyBass. I did the search just did not answer all the questions. I think maybe it got the P compared to Jazz one but availability?

I think the sound of the Stingray will be something any bassist can live with if not love. I will play the bass but when I do I know I will buy it.Got kids to raise so...

was looking for Fender players that have played both to keep a Fender player in the knowing.

tk

4. tk,

http://www.playmusicfree.com/musical_instruments/html/musicman_sterling.htm

Sterling
    [​IMG]

Sting Ray.....(photo belongs to bovine from The Dudepit)
    [​IMG]

MUSIC MAN FORUM

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. Hmmm. Sorry Treena, but those both look like Sterlings to me. Where's the famous "chrome banana"?

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    "Stingray is to Sterling" isn't really "as Precision is to Jazz".

The Sterling is the finest 4-string MM I've ever played, seen, or heard. StingRays aint bad, mind you, and I even love the Bongo... The Sterling is just a little sleeker, a little faster, you can't really put your finger on it. The nut width is like a Jazz versus the StingRay's which is closer to a P, but that's where the fender comparo ends, really. The Sterling has the same preamp as the StingRay 5-string as well, a little different than the SR4s.

Put it to ya this way - Say they're both Lamborghinis. StingRay is the Diablo while Sterling is the Diablo SV. It's just a bit better IMHO.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    From the Ernie Ball web site
    "STERLING

The Sterling is smaller and lighter than the StingRay, and features phantom coil pickup technology and an all new pre-amp. Combined with the Sterling's thinner neck profile, it is an instant favorite of bassists world wide. The Sterling was named Most Innovative Bass of 1993 by Musician magazine. It is the choice of professionals including bassist Dave LaRue of the Steve Morse Band."

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    For the love of God, GET THE STERLING! I have both a Stingray and two Sterlings. The Stingray fatigues my fretting hand, especially if I am playing above the seventh fret. There is just too much to hold on to. My Sterlings are so easy to play that it is sometimes scary. I have two. My black one is just like a comfortable version of my Stingray. My blue one was sent from heaven. The neck on my 1999 pearl blue Sterling fits in my hand so well it is like it was made especially for me. I actually got to a point where it played TOO good when I put a very light gauge (.95s) of DRs on it and I literally started to loose control. Now I have 100s on it and I am back in control. Seriously, Sterlings are a whole different animal and the tones are way better than the Stingray. Just my $0.02

:hyper:

9. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm not sure, but I get the feeling you like your Sterling :D

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    BTW that's how I feel about my SR5, which has the Sterlings slim neck and electronics

11. Both the Stingray and the Sterling are great basses, of this there is no doubt. I've had my Stingray for a little over two years, and I'm still thrilled everytime I open the case. I've played many Stingrays, and slightly fewer Sterlings. The Stingray just feels better in my hands; I much prefer the wider neck. The Sterling is more versatile because of the 3 way switch, but if you A/B them side by side I think you'll find that the Stingray has a slightly chunkier tone.

I would buy a Sterling except for the fact that I'm mostly into fivers now. I may buy a Stingray 5 over the weekend depending upon what's available, and which other basses I play. I still haven't played a Bongo.

Try to play both before you make a decision.

Mike

12. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've got a MM Sterling, I find them superior to the Stingray because of great playability, lightweight and versatility. Do check 'em out!

13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Love my Sterling. I have had 2 lefties and still wish I had the trans red one. I have a pearl blue with maple neck and it is so comfortable. The other day, I was tracking and finally realized just how useful the single coil center position was. It really sounds great and quite old-school when you want it to.

Fantastic bass indeed !!!!!!!!!!!

My biggest gripe is that they have not made a 5 string Sterling based on the same size body, same headstock, still a sleek neck and just the added bridge size and pickup width.

Why oh why ?!?!?!?! Bring on a Sterling 5, EB !!!!!!!!!