1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is a Straight Wrist?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Casting Thunder, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    I know this sounds dumb but every guide to proper wrist position I've found included "Relax your wrist" somewhere. I have CP so when I relax my muscles are naturally tighter then the normal person's, I can retrain my muscles to act like normal people's but I need a visual to help me.

Ever single proper wrist position picture I can find have something blocking the wrist, be it a bracelet or long sleeves.
    :help:

Is having the your knuckles line up with your wrist right?

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Here are two clips which show a safe technique for each hand :

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Have you gotten the surgery?

4. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    fearceol: Thanks they help!

mjac28: I don't know what you mean by 'the surgery'.

5. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Proper technique should emulate proper body mechanics.

Stand up with good posture and let your arms hang at your side. Look at your wrist and fingers. That's proper technique.

6. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012
    Yeah, I'm lacking the proper body mechanics.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlZnHhySRp-TN8EiAK6pl7sGKq8Q1Tfyq3f_YguHs1C1uZrE1d.

This is dramatic image of my arm will do when I'm focusing on something that doesn't involve my arms. I can retrain my body to act properly but I have to be actively thinking about to reset my muscle memory.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
  8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Attached is a photo of me in natural playing position. Although I have long sleeves, you can see how the back of my hands are in the same plane as my elbows. Keep those elbows away from your body and keep your arms off of your bass.

Attached Files:

9. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

Oct 7, 2012

That bass is gorgeous! oh, look you wrote something....lined up with the elbow, I can do that thanks!! :hyper:

10. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Excellent example. Any deviation or bend in the wrist can pull and stress the tendons in the carpal tunnel. Of course there is some wiggle room but that's where an experienced teacher can help.

11. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Jul 2, 2012
    Canada
    Liar, you just wanted to post your rickenbacker.

He's right though. And if you just cover the distracting shiny bass in ms paint, you'll see he's demonstrating a proper way to hold the bass.

12. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Check out the link, it shows and explains in clear detail about the concept of a straight wrist, part 1 is the fretting hand, part 2 is the plucking hand.

http://youtu.be/OM-rkoy2H8I

http://youtu.be/WREN22BYGQQ

Any questions regarding this info and how it could affect your type of Palsy, if I can answer them I will, so post them here or PM me if you have any.