1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is a substitute for the factory 4003 Ric strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm not going to pay $35.00 (plus shipping) for Ric strings - I did this a couple days ago, but I'll only do this once . The strings are nickel plated roundwounds, .45 .55, .75, .105. Anybody know where I can get something pretty close to these online for a better priced than $35.00? They can be any brand.

Also I would like to know if there is a less expensive alternative to my Fender SuperBass 7250's as well. These are also roundwound nickel plated .45, .65. .80, .100

If I could get both of these gauge sets in nickel roundwounds that the same, online store - I would start doing that - I think my GC days are over. Have you ever gone to a GC and told yourself - "this is the last time"! I just can't do that any more. The "frisking" at the end of your shopping experience really takes the cake.

Skel

2. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    i'm in the same position as you are. you won't find an exact match as rick strings are custom made for them. close is fine as a couple thousandths won't make a difference. dean markely blue steels in nickel:

xl: .040 .055 .075 .095
    lt: .045 .060 .080 .100
    ml: .045 .065 .080 .105

gc may not have the xl's. try juststrings.com. they carry all kinds of strings from most mfg's. so you might have to make a couple adjustments to the bridge/intonation. unless you got to strings that are stupid heavy, shouldn't have to touch the truss rod. good luck.

3. I use 45-105 DR Sunbeams on my Ric, and they are the smoothest and slinkies uncoated roundwound I have found so far compared to the stock strings....they have rich mids, bright highs, and warm lows - I love 'em!

EDIT: oops, I see you didn't want to spend 30.00 on a string set...but I've had 'em on my bass for almost a year now - the same set, and they still sound good(I think I have very neutral hands though)

4. For that classic biting Ric treble, I've found that Rotosound's RS66(.40-.95) are perfect. They mellow out a bit but still retain that great mid growl with enough treble.
    I've just switched to GHS Brite Flats, as I'm looking for more thump and less zing and so far I'm very happy. The growl is still there but the sound is much meatier overall. I'm loving the feel as well. I did need to file out the nut for the E, D and G strings, though(strangely, the A fit perfect).