What is a........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Feb 15, 2001.

1. Hey guys this may sound dumb but i gota learn some how.
    on my new amp i Have a

Pre amp input
    and a
    Power amp out-put

what the hell is a Pre amp and a Power amp?

hope use can help

2. A pre-amp is the tone shaping portion of your amp, the section with all the EQ, compressor, etc.

A power-amp is the wattage portion of your amp, and basically the only thing on it is your output knob.

Both preamps and poweramps can also be purchased as seperate rack mount units insted of as a head (which is what you have) so that you can mix and match.

The jacks on the back of your amp have a few different uses:
    1) Preamp out jack- if you like your tone but decide that you don't have enough power later on you can buy a poweramp and run out of this jack into the poweramp.

2) Poweramp in jack- if you don't like your tone but have plenty of power you can buy a preamp that is more suited to you and run it into this jack and use the power of your amp.

3) they can be used as an effects loop, you would run the preamp out to the "in" of an effects processor....you would then run the "out" of the effects processor to the poweramp in jack, which put the effects into your signal chain.

Hope that helped.
  3. So
    when u say "more power"
    that means
    from 150watts to say whateva the poweramp i get
    say 300watts

is that what u mean?
  4. and also
    the amp i have is a Peavey TNT115

if posible could u tell me what kind of Power Amps and Pre Amps would suit this model if you know

5. It's not so much an issue of which preamp or poweramp suits your amp, it's which one suits you. With the amp you have you will never NEED another component to make the amp work. However poweramps come in all different wattages (from 200 up to 3500 watts is what I've seen in my own personal experience.) It's all a matter of how much power you need to be heard over different situations. And different preamps have different tones. Preamps and Poweramps are almost always used as a rack system, you would probably never find someone using one on a TNT Combo. I just brought them up because technically you could use the jacks that way if you chose to.

The main reason those jacks are there is to give you an effects loop to run a processor through.

Overall don't sweat it man, if you like the amp then there is no sense in worrying about preamps and poweramps because they aren't something you need for your setup.
  6. thanks muchly for ur help guys!!!
  7. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Speaking of preamps, the Tech 21 Sansamp PSA-1 is a preamp right?

How would i go about hooking one of those up to my Fender Bassman 400 combo? To have it so i can have the sansamp distortion in one channel and my Fender's clean in another. Is that possible?
  8. I'm not sure how you would go about running that setup since I am not familiar with the PSA-1 (which is a preamp by the way) or the Bassman 400.

However if all you're looking for is the distortion I would recomend the Sansamp Bass Driver DI, it has the best distortion I've heard for bass (keep in mind I'm not much of a distortion person, but it is the best I've heard) and it is just a DI with a stompbox style pedal on it so that you can bypass it when you don't want it's distortion.

As a bonus it also has some EQ stuff on it so if you ever run into an amp blowing up or not fitting on the stage horror story you still have some control over your tone going straight to the board.
  9. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Well the reason i'm interested in the PSA-1 is because theirs so many different ways to set the distortion plus theirs like 8 bass pre-sets. I downloaded some sound samples of the PSA-1 and i was blown away by the distortion.