1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is "Acid Jazz"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have heard the term many times. What ecatcly is it? Is it an actual style of something someone just made up to sound cool?

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well I learned something new. I always though the eary - mid 70's Herbie Hancock albums were called acid jazz. My friend gave me a copy of 42 Herbie albums and some of the stuff is crazy.

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    the stuff like headhunters/thrust was more fusion funk. I'm not sure on the specifics, I've got a Jimmy Smith album called the roots of acid jazz which has some really cool funk numbers, including him doing a version of satisfaction, but it sounds nothing like the artist on that wikipedia page.

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    A lot of people classify Charlie Hunter as "acid-jazz." Myself, I hate the whole sub-sub-sub-sub genre thing.

5. Within the next decade, they'll probably have something like...Nu-acid-hardcore-ska-hip hop-jazzcore.

6. wait they dont have it now? I always considered acid jazz to be groovy jazz - like headhunters or the new MMW stuff ( like uninvisible). I think in reality it is more rap/techno plus jazz

7. I have yet to see "punk" and "hardcore" let alone "ska" be mixed with jazz. Reggae jazz...this gives me an idea...

LMFAO, Hawthorne Heights and Fall Out Boy jamming out on Days Of Wine And Roses, that'll be the day hell freezes over!

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I give credit to Roy Ayers.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

"Acid Jazz" was not a genre as such - but rather a record label, set up in London and which featured such bands as Jamiroquai and Brand New Heavies, sharing members and tours.

There was of course a "house style" to the label - but it was not meant to be taken literally as a genre - it's like saying "Motown" music ...:)

PS - the wikipedia article is hopelessly wrong!! :meh: