Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is ADAT??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JHMAVRO, Oct 27, 2000.

1. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    I've been looking into some recording stuff and these keep poping up. Are the different from a DAT,? and if so, how? I was looking through Musicans freind or AMS or something and saw they were selling an Alessis Mixer and ADAT machine as a recording package. I Allready have a mixer so I was thinking I could get An ADAT and use it with the mixer I have (mackie CFX-12). Would this work for multi track recording??

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    an ADAT is an 8 track digital recorder that records on SVHS tape. they are excellent pieces, and have sold over 100,000 units over the past 10 years or so.

we have 5 :D

3. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, and to answer your second question, yeah, that would work fine - give you 8 tracks to work with.

4. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Thanks alot John.
    Anybody got any more info I should know?? How much does one cost??? How would using one compare to using a digital 8 track recording console?

5. 5?? Bastard!;)

We have 3 LX20's. Do you ever have any problems? One machine is in constant need of repair and almost always refuses to sync up with the other two. We're ready to go back to tape!

Guess that's what we get for getting the LX20... ;)

JHMAVRO, what kind of recording are you planning to do?

6. ADAT=Alesis Digital Audio Tape
    good stuff

7. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't really dig the lx20s, we use the elco connectors to hook up, and the lx20 doesn't have any.

we drive the adats via cakewalk running sequences of our songs - cakewalk is the "location master" (tells the adats where to go) and the adats are the "timecode master" (the sequencer follows the adats to keep synchronized). we have 2 xt20s, 1 xt and 2 blackface adats. the only one that gives us problems is the xt, and only if it is the master unit. the xt20s are great - we've logged well over 1000 hours on our adats and we've only had to get them cleaned and serviced at around 500-600 hours.

you can get new lx20s for around US$999
    new xt20s for around US$1700 with the rebate that they are offering.

i would advise the xt20s, or else getting an older xt or blackface off of ebay, and then getting the elco snake.

8. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA

9. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    just sending this back up with hopes someone has more info. ;)

thanks guys

10. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    saint makes some good points. if i were to redo my studio now, with the same amount of money that i've spent, i would probably go digital, either protools or digital mackie board + harddisk.

not that i don't like my studio now, i love it, it's just that the technology now has really advanced since when i bought the stuff.