Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is all the talkbass terminology about?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Apr 27, 2005.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have been using talkbass recently and have noticed that a lot of the members use terms just like aol.

What do IMO and IME and all that stuff mean?

are there any more that i need to know?

2. IMO is In My Opinion.
    IMHO is In My Humble Opinion.
    IMNSHO is " " not so " "
    IME I'm don't know and I looked up and can't find. So I'm going to assume it's In My Estimation.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    "In My Estimation" correction: "experience" probably is more right!

Here's a little glossary. You can also hit the wiki where almost any term is covered (along with most everything else). Soon, IMO, u l b 1337.

4. mr tea

mr tea

Mar 9, 2005
    what does WTLW mean?

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    IMWO= in my warped opinion
    IMUO= in my useless opinion
    IMOO= in my obstinate opinion
    IMPO= in my pathetic opinion
    IMQO= in my Quioxte opinion (a literary expression)
    IMAO= in my A@*&*#$ opinion
    IMJO= in my Jehosophat opinion ( a biblical reference for Christian TBers)
    IMSO= in my Schizophentic opinion
    IMTO= in my theoretical opinion
    IMBO= in my bizare opinion (could also refer to a hygene problem)
    IMDO= in my drunken opinion
    IMIO= in my ignorant opinion
    DIGME= worthless information that has nothing to do with the current thread will be following :D

Hope this helps. any questions ask Brad Cook!

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    IBTL = in before the lock ;)

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    No one posted G.A.S.?? Gear Aquisition Syndrome by the way for those always asking about that one hehe.

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    thanks a lot guys i really appreciate it

9. PDH: Pile-Drivingly Heavy

Mike

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    NORAD - North Atlantic Treaty Organization

11. i think FWIW (for what it's worth) should be mentioned too, that one confused me for a while...

12. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Ok, I've been dying to ask this but thought it might sound stupid. But I have to know...

what does 'pwns' mean? i know it means something is better than something else... I think. But where did it come from?

I feel better now. :D

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    it means owned.

or
    pwned

its basically one of those, things like "oh ****, you just got knocked the **** out"

14. The most widely held theory is that "pwn" originated from a typo in first-person shooter games, the common mistake occurred from a hand position. The user, using his mouse right-handedly, would hold three of his fingers on the keys, "a", "w", and "d", along with the mouse in his right hand. When prompted to make a comment upon fragging his opponent, a quick motion to type the word "owned" resulted in a typo. Due to the proximity of the keys "p" and "o" on a standard QWERTY keyboard the user hit the "p" instead of the "o" key, resulting in the word "pwned". Intentional misspellings based on keystroke errors are common in leet, such as "[teh]" for "the" and replacing exclamation points with 1s.

One story reports that in the game StarCraft, someone made a custom map where losing players would see a special message. However, instead of typing in "YOU WERE OWNED", a typo resulted in "YOU WERE PWNED". It is said that every use of the word "pwn" therefore comes from this one hapless misspelling, or a similar one occurring in a Warcraft or Unreal Tournament game. One possibility exists in a mispronunciation, in Diablo: Hellfire, where an enemy claims he will “own” you. The word is pronounced more like “puh-own”. This may be somehow related to the “Starcraft Theory”.

Some people believe that the word was originally a contraction of the term "power-owned", "pure ownage", "pistol-owned", "perfectly owned", "ping-owned", "player-owned", "professionally owned," or "properly owned". These are probably back-formations.

It has been suggested that the word resulted from a rendering problem from a specific game that made the word "owned" look like the word "pwned". As a result, gamers considering themselves superior in skill started using the word as an obscure reference.

It is likely that "pwn" is actually the result of a carryover of the word "0wned" used by hackers on IRC to declare that they have successfully cracked a computer or target (i.e. "I just 0wned that Windows box").

Another theory suggests that "pwned" is a version of "owned", with supposed blood dripping from the "o".

Still another interpretation makes the case that "pwned" was not an accident, but instead a contraction of the word pawned. This theory is based upon the idea that the person who was defeated was "owned," and then pawned off, as an item would be at a pawnshop.

Another theory supports the idea that "pwned" originated on gaming forums after the word "owned" was banned. Administrators banned the word to try to keep flame wars (arguments filled with insults) down, and as a result, forum users merely censor bypassed it (changed spelling to get past any auto-blockers in place) by spelling it as "pwned".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn3d

15. tifa

tifa Padawan Bassist

Mar 8, 2005
    Blackburn, UK
    Well, thats my answer and more! Thanks :)

I actually wondered if it was a misspelling of 'owned' that had just stuck. so I wasn't far off!

Cheers!

16. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    GDTRFB = goin down the road feelin bad

TMWSIY = the man who stepped into yesterday

omgwtfbbq = ???

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey