1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What is an ampeg scrambler exactly?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arbitrary, Mar 29, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I was looking at the ampeg scrambler and I think it a distortion pedal. But I'm not exactly sure if it is or not. Anyone know what the hell an ampeg scrambler is and what it does (and if its any good)?
    Thanks again.

2. here is what the ampeg website says

The New Scrambler Series Pedals are based on the original cosmetic design of the Ampeg Scrambler pedal from 1969. The SCP-OD is the reissue of the Original Scrambler. It features a distortion circuit that adds upper octave harmonic content, while blending a unique overdrive effect to the signal. These pedals feature die-cast housings and True Bypass circuitry.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Distortion with a twist. Every hear people who want a "natural" sounding distortion? This is the opposite of that. I had an original but lost it somewhere along the line. It was simply the evilest sounding pedal ever created on earth. If I had the cash to throw away, I'd get another one to scare off kids in the neighborhood. :D

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's an awesomely unique overdrive that can only be gotten from a Scrambler or Scrambler clone.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  6. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hmmm.....thanks.
    I wonder how useful it is....I suppose as much as any other distortion.
    thanks.

7. tonepad.com put it best

"sounds like...Doom"

8. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I think it's a fuzz more than an overdrive, chaps.

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    pshhhhh semantics ;)

I must have one. I bet you with bass it'd be half as annoying and 2x as awesome...like the formula for gravitational pull.

10. grrrrrrrr I must own one someday... Too bad there isn't a LED on that Reissue... Serious design mistake imho!!!!!!

11. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    What, you don't think you would know whether it is on or not!?!

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    In addition to the Scrambler OD pedal, there is also a Scrambler Octave pedal. Don't get the two of them confused. They do very different things.

13. But they are both very freakin great.

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know that the octave divider is very nice - I got to play with one. Although I haven't been able to try the Scrambler yet, I still kind-of doubt its usefullness.

15. You can check out a sound sampe for the bass at Musicians Friend. It also has sound samples for guitar. This pedal seems to like it would provide a warmer distortion, similar to that of Tim C. of Audio/Rage, rather than a guitar distortion like the Boss ODB-3. I have been jonesing for one of these and it really isn't that expensive at $230. It is true bypass also, so no loss of signal when it is off. That alone is worth something.

16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Link:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=153600

Hm. Sounds less radical than I thought on that bass clip. The Scrambler might be more-useful than I thought.

Joe

17. Man, that thing is awful. I never get headaches, but I've got one now just from listening to that first clip. It just sounds like a bad day.

There's just one problem.

Where will I get $230 for one?

18. Nope. Not when you're not playing, no.

19. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    It can actually get a LOT nastier than that on bass. I assume they have the Texture knob turnd down. This will give you a more "standard" distortion. Listen to the difference between the guitar "Fuzz" and "Octave Fuzz" to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Adding the Octave up content gets it really freaky, almost sounds like they have a ring modulator built in there somewhere.

20. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    yeah, based upon the samples I doubt I'd be getting one soon.
    Its nice when theres actually stuff I don't want,