1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is an appropriate penalty for using the "N" word in High School ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 18, 2008.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

What do you believe is an appropriate penalty for students that use the " N Word" ( The variety with ga not er at the end) with each other and towards the Instructor ?

2. Death:D

Nah, not really. A few days exclusion should do the trick.

3. MAJOR METAL

Should the race of the Student have any impact in the consequences ?

4. this is me
    Pictures055.

Well really seeing as how the group of people who the word was used to degrade them, is now being used by that same group of people between each other and other races i don't see how its offensive.

SO therefor a penalty is not in order.

Thats MY Opinion.

5. MAJOR METAL

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

6. I would say suspention, which allows the parents to deal with it first.

After that, well, what can you do? That word is running rampant these days, look how friggin' and freakin' have somehow become acceptable, yet we all know they are simply replacements for the big guy.

Have a nice day... F.U. :p

(Felix Unger) remember that movie.

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Essay describing why that is a hateful word that this tied directly to centuries of oppression and shouldn't be tossed around so casually? IMO of course

8. a paddlin

jasper.

in all seriousness. why cant people just let that word die.

9. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I think if they want to call their friends that, fine. But you the teacher? No, that doesn't work. I'd say toss them out of class if you warn them and they keep it up. That or a days detention.

10. I would imagine that if it's becoming an issue, the school may want to address it to the entire school as a whole.

11. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Same penalty for everyone...one week suspension 1st offense...expulsion additional offenses

12. Your welcome.

I mean honestly, do expect to punish someone who calls someone a N when the race that created that word is calling each other that?:confused:

:scowl:

sorry thats just one of the things that are highly amusing to me as an African American.:rollno:

13. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I think it shouldn't matter who is saying the word, or in what context, there should be the same punishment across the board.

Can white kids call each other honky?

14. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I agree, it shouldn't be used by anyone regardless of race. Unless the same consequences are to be had.

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I hear that word a lot, and I don't tolerate it. Even if it's in jest. I demand respect in my classroom. Just last week a student of mine was suspended for using that word. He is hispanic and he was talking to his partner in a project. He said "N***** you're fn stupid." They were playing with each other, but I nailed him. School is a safe place for kids to learn from their mistakes. It's better that he makes that mistake in front of me rather than in front of a future employer or even in front of the wrong person at the wrong place. I have zero tolerance for it. Sorry.

EDIT. The boy's partner was a black girl.

16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Right on, and good for you.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The same penalty you get here: a dressing down from John Turner.

18. i didn't say they did

from what i was taught in history class it was the Caucasians and thats all m saying(yes i hear Caucasians say that word in reference to each other)

19. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Yeah, I was reading the quote wrong. My bad. I see what your saying though, and I personally hate it when whites use it with each other.

20. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If a teachers says it, fired.