Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is an good amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMan182, Mar 27, 2001.

1. BassMan182

BassMan182

Mar 27, 2001
    I just bought a bass. I bout a gsr-200. I've been playing for a month. I really suck though. When I play, I usualy plug my guitar into my stereo and use that as an amp, but I need a real amp. What's a good amp to buy. I don't have a whole lot of money.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Define "don't have a whole lot of money"?

I know people who say this because they can only afford one VL-210;)

What's your budget, Bassman182?

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  4. A good amp is one that you can afford that sounds good to you when you play your bass through it.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Couldn't've said it better myself.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bassman- Welcome to TalkBass! As Brad mentioned, knowing what kind of $$$$ you intend to spend is the only way to give you some effective advice.

All we know are your parameters of, "good amp," and, "not a lot of money." Well, to you, a Peavey Microbass would be a "good amp" if a little over $100 bucks translates to "not a lot of money." On the other hand, I know some folks for whom $500 bucks means, "not a lot of money." If that's your interpretation, you have a lot more options, Ampeg and SWR, just for starters.