Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is avatar?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Lee, Apr 29, 2003.

1. what is avatar?

i see all these people talking about it

but what is avatar?

thanks

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's from the Hindu religion - the incarnation of a god on earth in human form.

Lots of good online dictionaries about....:meh:

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    In context, it's the little picture that supporting members can put underneath their name to brighten up your day... how you choose to represent yourself in cyberspace (and thus based on the idea that 'the gods' can choose how to represent themselves while walking around on earth - hence the Hindu reference made by Guru Bruce)

Wulf

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Don't encourage him :D

5. Bruce Lindfield

That's why Hindus find it easy to accommodate and tolerate Christianity - Jesus was just an avatar of a god on earth! ;)

6. Isnt an Avatar some kind of Bull looking monster in RPG games like D&D and such? Thats what I heard through the grapevine :D

7. Avatar are bass cabinets.

8. I thought Avatar was Babar's son :confused:

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Tom,

You still there? The two relevant bits of information are that:

* Avatar is used to describe the picture posted next to supporting members' posts.

* It also refers to a range of bass cabinets that are generally regarded as being very good for a relatively low price.

The rest is all a bit metaphysical...

Wulf

10. thanks for your help everyone

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well the Hindu Religion used the term first - the others are just stealing the concept for their own purposes!! ;)

I think the accepted definition, is as you said a representation of yourself in cyberspace - which is verging on the metaphysical in itself. What part of "you" or your essence is present in an avatar?

Can you actually exist in cyberspace?