Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is best pickup for neck position on a Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Root 5, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada
    I'm thinking of putting a neck pickup on a Stingray but I don't know all the available pickups. I know about the SD Basslines MM pup but I dont think it fits(polepieces) in neck position. I don't want a jazz pickup.

Lane poor? Bartolini?? Kent Armstrong???

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    well since you're going to have to route holes in your bass, it seems that anything at all would probably fit. Since the string spacing in the neck position of a stingray is very non-standard, go for something without pole pieces. If you don't want a jazz pup your two choices are soapbars and MM-style pickups. If you want MM-style.. you'll have to go with bartolini, as they are the only company that makes decent ones without pole pieces. (Kent Armstrong does too, but they're worthless IMO.) You'll have some problems with finding something hot enough to compete with the stock MM pup, if you're leaving that one in.

My suggestion... Kent Armstrong isn't worth your time, Lane Poor isn't made anymore, so unless you know someone who knows God, you'll never get one.
    That leaves you with bart MM-style or soapbars, and SD soapbars. Keep in mind the extra holes and routing you'll have to do in the back of the bass to get the pickup working and blended in as well, and the fact that i'll look pretty goofy having one stock pole-pieced Pup, and one solid bar pickup.
    Goodluck, i hope you get the sound you're going for. A much easier (less removed wood) suggestion is go to for a piezo bridge... but that's just a suggestion.

3. What did you end up going for? I've been thinking about adding a Single Coil Precision on the Neck for the thumb whenever I play plectrum (Yes, I play my Stingray with a pick sometimes) :bassist:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    There's also me and EMG. And the real Kent Armstrong hand wound pickups (like Ken Smith uses) are not like the imports from WD.

Real MM pickups are actually fairly low impedance, so any of the after market pickups would be more than hot enough for the neck position, plus, you want a fairly clean and bright pickup at the neck so it doesn't get muddy.

Other form factors would be Jazz pickups with blades and small soapbars.