What is better, 2x10" or 1x15"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joergsporer, Jan 28, 2001.

1. joergsporer

Jan 25, 2001
    What cabinets are better / can be used for more music styles? Those with two 10" speakers, or those with one 15" speaker?

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I'd go for two tens in a flash.

3. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    Go for the 15", For bass players. The fifteen can cover low bass notes. a 15" and 2 10" together make a great mix that can handle low frequencies (the 15) and mid and high well (10s). fifteens can also handle high/mid frequencies well, just not quite as good as the tens which can barely handle lows. The 15 also has more surface area than the tens combined. So basically the 15 is bigger that the tens combined. The 15 is 1.13 times the size of the two tens. A 18 is 1.44 times the size of a 15 and 3.2 times one ten.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Apparently someone hasn't heard:

Acme Low-B2
    Eden D210XLT
    Euphonic Audio VL-210
    Epifani T-210
    Aguilar GS 210

No lack of bottom in any of these, especially with low B's.

BTW surface area is a relavent spec but falls way behind cabinet design in importance in cabinet building.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Personally I would go for the 2x10 first, then maybe later add a 15. But that's just me.
  6. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    I'll inject my little comments here:

Larger speakers generally sound "smoother" and "warmer". You see tons of 15's and 12's used for jazz (though 10's are used as well). You also see lots of 10's used for rock and punk (again, there's always the exception of 15's and 18's here as well). Smaller speakers are quicker attack-wise and handle higher frequencies better than larger speakers all else being the same.

While a 2x10 might sonically go as low as a 15, in my experience, it has never sounded as good/natural. Assuming equal quality levels of the speakers/cabinent, the low end on the 10's is going to come more from porting on the cabinent than the speaker itself. While the 15 is going to produce more of the low end at the speaker than than from the porting of the cabinent. One other factor that comes into play here is the "throw" of the speaker. Larger speakers tend to project further than smaller ones. This sometimes can have the effect of being too quiet on-stage/too loud on the floor (larger speakers) or too loud on-stage/too quiet on the floor (smaller speakers).

My adivce, try both and see what you like: as Brad mentioned, there are some really excellent 2x10's on the market today that go much lower than ever before. On the other hand, 15's are only getting better and better.

What it's all going to come down to is what you want to sound like, neither is inherently "better" than the other.
  7. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    the 15s and 18s' sound will travel far distances, but i've only encountered 18" being quiet from within 5' away, one ten will even that out.
  8. the iceman

the iceman

Nov 27, 2000
    In response to the statement about 2x10 cabinets being able to produce notes as low as a 15": well this is true of some of the upper end (very expensive) 2x10's, but you also must keep in mind that it will take a whole lot of power to drive most of these cabs. Eden cabinets are an exception to this because they are very efficient and don't need as many watts. I mean, you could go for something like an Eden 2x10XLT and use it as a stand alone full range cabinet, but why do that when for the same price (or most likely less) you could get a pretty solid 2x10 AND a 15"?? Stacking these 2 cabs together would give you way more surface area (thus more volume) than just a 2x10.

In my opinion it is better to buy a 15" cabinet first because I think a 15 sounds better on its own than most 2x10's. And that way you can always add a 2x10 to that later and you'll have a nice rig to work with.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As others have alluded to, it really depends on the quality of the speakers.

All things being equal, I'd go 15" in a heartbeat. Standing up close to a 2X10" and then a 15" you may not be able to tell. But get about 10' away and get down around open E, F, G, open A (or B, C, D, if a 5'er) and the difference is perceptible. And I have tinninitus! In high quality speakers, I've found a difference of more than 2" in speaker diameter to be a sound factor.

If you play a lot in the higher registers, good 10"s might be the way to go if you don't have a horn with your 15".
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I've now reduced my rig from a killer 15 cab and pretty good 2-10 to an Eden D210XLT. First gig was last Saturday and for what I use the Eden for, stage volume and presence, with fretted and fretless fives, it was absolutely a dream. So if the question is:

"What is better, 2x10 or 1x15 for Brad Johnson, I have the definitive answer :D

Otherwise, the advise by White Knight and others is right on point. Take all of that into consideration and the decision may be a littler easier for you to make.
  11. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    How true Brad! Though I must admit, even though I'm a 15" kinda guy, that Eden is SWEET!
  12. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My old rig had 1x15 and it was pretty cool. I think the 2x10 would have been better for me though. It would seem that a 1x15 would generally be cheaper.

Now if money wasn't an issue and you wanted some thump to go along with your twang... get a 1x18 and a 4x10. :)
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've seen some Ashdowns and some Peavy's and I say: If your gonna go for low/high, why not think about a 1x18+2x10 cabinet. My school uses one of those, and they cover low and high rather wel1. Plus, because it's all one cab, you can run the 18, or the 2x10s seperatly, or both together for a well rounded sound. I might get me one of those when new Amp setup time rolls around.
  14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Ahh, to be young again...and willing to haul gear around:D
  15. i use a 2x10 mesa diesel on top of a 1x15 mesa diesel, all EV speakers. i just have my 1x15 with me now and i want to go get my 2x10, i shouldnt have left it behind, it really fills in the highs nicely!!! BOY DO I MISS IT!!!
  16. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Since there is this much disagreement I'll add to the confusion.:)

I've tried both the WM 1x15 and the WM 2x10 in gig situations. To me there was no question. The 2x10 sounded much better than the 1x15. Since they are pretty much sister cabs, the quality of each must be pretty much the same. With the 15 I could tune in nice lows or (just barely) acceptable mids, but not both at the same EQ settings. With the 2x10 I could get both lows and mids with one EQ setting. YMMV

Of course the best sound came from running both cabs. Imagine that! :)

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I guess I should amplify my answer. If I didn't have to haul the stuff around, a 2-10 AND a 1-15 would be my preference. I just like the way they compliment each other.

Since I don't rate a roady, my original answer stands.

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    the frequency response for many 2x10's are not that different from 1x15's
  19. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I use a 15...I just like to feel the stuff, the definition is in my head, it kind of surrounds the music with a typical shroud of warmth.
  20. I started with 2x10's and I added a 15" recently, I think they are great together and you can buy a 15" cab for under $200(U.S.) But if I can only have one of the choices, and I was not going to hear myself over the PA system I would take the 2x10 only because it can usually handle the highs and mids better.......I do like the low rumble I get out of the 15" and I would really miss that..... I think the ideal cab is one with a variety of speakers, like 2x8 plus 1x15 in the same cab...or any combination of sizes that will give you more range.....