1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is better 4x10's or a 15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flcruiserman, May 12, 2011.

1. flcruiserman

flcruiserman

May 12, 2011
    What is better to use, i have A Mark Bass 400 watt combo with a 15 in it plus A 15 cabnet with it. What would be better to use 2x15 or 4x10 with a 15 or 2- 4x10 cabnets? I have never used a 4x10 cabnet so I not shure the difference.

2. This will likely open up a can of worms but... It depends on the models but generally it seems that you'd want to go with 2 15's or 2 410's. The differences depend on the manufacturer.

3. 1n3

1n3

Sep 13, 2007
    USA
    The obligatory link to the FAQs... Scroll down to "Speaker Size Discussions".

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I prefer 4x10"

I'm not wild about MB cabs, however.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Go to your local music store, bring your gear, play it along with the cabs you're considering, buy what you like the best.

6. Lazerrus

Lazerrus

Dec 18, 2010
    2 410's IMO.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale

A 4x10 and a 2x15 cabinet are both good choices for bass. Both will work.

I use smaller cabs. I use 2 2x10 cabs or 2 1x15 cabs. They sound pretty much the same. But when it comes time to move them they are lighter.

8. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Since we are starting from the fact that you already have a 1x15 combo and are just asking about what should you use for your second cab, I would lean towards another 1x15 from MB. Stack them on top of each other and own the bottom!

This is assuming your combo is 350 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4 ohms, which means you need an 8 ohm cab to achieve the 500 watts.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that^

10. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    I switched from 2 15" cabs to 2 410 cabs because I wanted more punctuation and tone to carry out into the audience.

My 15's were boomier. the 10's give me plenty of bass and volume but also have more tonality, ie, you can distinguish the musical tone of the notes better.

So now I prefer the 10's. and that's something I never thought I'd say before.

The Avatar B410 Neo cabs have high-excursion 10s that really move a lot of air & project really well for this. I power mine with a Markbass LM III - 800w model.

Love it - It's like a cannon with tone!

:bassist::p:bag::cool:

11. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I like 15's and 4x10's in combo.
    If I used 1 or the other it would be a 2x15 cab or a, 8x10 cab.