1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is better??Sansamp bddi or GK 1001 RBll, both straight to the sound card.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Music_for_life, May 22, 2012.

1. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    DIs are better than a power amp for direct recording to a sound card??
    Why everybody when recording with power amps miked it instead of recording it straight to the soundcard.

2. Before yoo go any further please note that YOU SHOULD NEVER CONNECT A POWER AMPLIFIER OUTPUT STRAIGHT INTO THE INTERFACE! There are some cases where this is done, but mostly with tube amps and with a DI placed between the speaker output and the mic input of the interface/mixer, but if you don't know what you are doing refrain from doing this.

You can use the GK DI output (XLR jack in the front panel) and it will serve the same fucntion as a Sansamp with a different sound and character, which might be good if that's the sound you want.

3. I like to use the WTDI pre/DI because it is easy to use and gives me good sound. For me, it's "better". YMMV

4. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    when you say "sound card" are you talking about an interface or are you actually using your computers inbuilt soundcard? If you are then I suggest a proper interface would be better than either for recording.

5. Music_for_life

Music_for_life

Aug 6, 2010
    I refer to interface

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

Where are you getting that?
    Most people today are going to do a DI.

Then use plugins or re-amp on mixdown.

Maybe they'll add a mic to an amp so the bass play can hear an amp, but mixing mic and DI can cause problems.

See good ol' Craig Anderton article on mic and DI together
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul01/articles/micdi.asp

7. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    I would record both on a seperate track an simply compare.
    DI/mic is a matter of taste/style.

8. I typically have a DI straight from my bass, another after pedals (if used), another post PreAmp, and a mic on the cab. This gives all the choices I could want for mix down or re-amping.