1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What is causing distortion on this new speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by function, Feb 20, 2008.

1. function

function

Sep 7, 2005
    I put in a couple of new Eminence 15's in a 2x15 cab and was immediately disappointed when the bottom one had a very faint ugliness to it. They are a pair of 3015's so they should be pretty nice and handle a good amount of power. When I hit the regular level I play at the bottom speaker started to sound like a raspy old smoker (the previous Beta 15s had no problem handling this level from the amp).

The top one seems fine. I took out the bottom checked for anything rattling or loose on it or in the chamber, then re-wired and re-installed. Speakers are in phase and well within their power handling. What gives?

If you put your ear up close to the bottom speaker, every time I pluck a note it sounds like someone is playing through one of those Boss Bass Synth pedals reallllly far away. Top one checks out completely fine. Strange, but thats the only way I can describe the sound. I'm stumped

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd return it at once.

3. ducatiman

ducatiman

Oct 3, 2006
    new yawk
    are they brand new? can you provide receipt from vendor/dealer?

IF SO email eminence customer service for a RGA (return goods authorization, see their website). their products are covered under a warranty against mfg defects. they WILL ask for a copy of your receipt. they'll be interested in examining their product and repairing/replacing. they are a straight up company, but as the previous poster jim carr stated, don't let it lag.

good luck.