1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what is "classic" Fender jazz or P sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blakelock, Apr 26, 2010.

1. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    hi all,
    so i know this is subjective, dependent on a million factors, and probably impossible to describe with words anyway, but.....:bag:

how would you describe the "classic" fender jazz bass and p-bass sounds? (it might be useful to suggest recordings that are good examples) and how do newer jazz and P's compare? do the newer ones still have the classic sound?

let the games begin!

2. Hamerguy

Hamerguy

Mar 29, 2008
    This is what I consider classic P sound:

(I think Marlowe DK is a TB member, his clips have inspired me a lot)

To me, the P is quite "midrange honky" (in a good way) when compared to a J, otherwise blind tests (another TBer did this recently, was quite interesting) could fool me. I don't hear much differences between old and new ones, neither maple or rosewood board and ash or alder bodies and we just talk about the classic Fender P and J (4 strings, passive electronics, regular pickups). Strings make a difference to me, flats vs. rounds, strings through body vs. strings through bridge not so much.

3. for me 'fender' in the bass world is the P, im not a jazz bass guy and to me they seem to be a little thin when not slapped (but thats probably just my EQ since i favour a P :)).

and what hamerguy said about strings is soooooo true, i personaly dont dig flats but a nice P with flats is such a nice sound even though i prefer the middy bite and klanky top of rounds on a P.

4. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    one of the reasons i asked this question is because i'm thinking about getting a jazz just for experimentation and general kicks. i currently play a stingray and love the tone :)bassist: "punch" anyone?) when i've tried out the newer active (deluxe) jazz basses, the versatility in the tone is ridiculous. i can get a punch that's pretty similar to my stingray. versatility is great, but i'm interested in experimenting with the "classic" J sound. i might have a hard time finding this sound on the new active J's. maybe the passive is what i'm looking for.