Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is condsidered High end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Jan 26, 2006.

1. I was looking for maybe a faq with a list of each High end, Mid level, and low end manufacture(s) with the names of the bass cabinets and why they are considered to be at "that level" but I could not find any.

If someone has any helpful information on this please post.

2. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I don't think there's a definitive way to designate companies as "high end" or "low end"...your going to get alot of different opinions on that. But here's what I think...

Some of the big companies cover the full scope, with professional lines, mid range lines, and beginner lines. These include Ampeg, SWR, G-K, Ashdown, and others. Some companies may have been considered high end in the past but are now considered run-of-the-mill.

There are some smaller companies that offer "boutique" type gear, such as Bergantino, Epifani, Aguilar, Demeter, Accugroove, etc., but even some of those companies are coming out with "mid-range" lines to appeal to more people.

Then you have companies that are without a doubt lower end, like Crate, Behringer, Gorrilla, etc.

3. So if a company like lets say Ampeg charges 1000 for there high end amps so to say, is the quality and tone equivalent to that of an epifani or accugroove?

4. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    No, tone is in the eye of the beholder (well, ear), so its not easy to say

And quality isnt always true, because look at peavey gear, it isnt considered high end and yet thier amps are of a very high quality build

You would want higher quality from a higher price at least, but the sound is all down to what you like

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That would be for you to decide. What you need to do is start trying out gear and get a feel for what you like and dislike about each brand.

I wouldn't allow the price tag to always determine what is high end. Sure, a $2500 Aguilar amp is going to be nicer than a $300 Hartke, but I'm talking beyond the obvious.

You will also find that your definition of high end may change. When I first started playing, Mesa and Eden were high end to me. Now, it is Walter Woods and Sadowsky amps. Not that I am trying to sound snooty, just giving you and example of how it evolves for each person.

-Mike

6. if guitar center's a dealer for it, it aint high end.

7. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Its kinda like car companies. You have certain companies like BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. that are without a doubt "high-end". (This would be like Epifani, Accogroove, Walter Woods, etc.) Then you have big companies like GM, Toyota, Ford, etc. that sell to everyone, and they have "high-end" lines like Cadilac, Lincoln, and Lexus which sell some cars that are just as expensive as BMW, Mercedes, etc. (This would be like Ampeg, SWR, Eden, etc.)

So its really up to the driver of the car (or the bass player) to determine what they want. There are alot of cars that cost over $40-50,000. There are alot of amps that cost over $1000. It just depends on what you like!

8. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    High end?.......Anything that you can't afford or will put you on the couch at night if you thought you could afford it.
    Rezdog

9. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Guitar Center's an Aguilar dealer. I got my 750 there.

So I'm not sure if their carrying the line is a good yardstick. Unless your argument is that Aggie is a beginner's amp.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    With exception of the price, what range would Avatar's bass cabs be considered. I'm highly considering their B410 Neo due to the price tag and the weight being so low. Also, they get some incredible reviews. Any thoughts on Avatar?

11. Good question I would like to know this as well

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    anyone have an answer for waytoodeep03 and me?

13. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    There's been tons of posts on the Avatar cabs...I've only checked them out in stores and not on stage, but I think the consensus here is that they are a really good deal for the money. i wouldn't consider them "high-end" at all, but they are comparable to cabs that cost more. They blow away anything else offered in that price range.

14. One thing I've learnt is to take reviews with a grain of salt. Another thing I've learnt is (often) you get what you pay for. I've never played an avatar so honestly I cant comment on "bang per buck" but I imagin as far as tone goes it wont hang with the more expensive stuff like aguilar, eden, berg, ea...

15. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
  16. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    I consider Warwick, Mesa, and Avalon all to be exceptional and high end.

17. Tube amps.... $15 a watt
    SS amps..... $3 a watt

:D

18. vision

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    lol...sounds about right!