Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Courting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    As opposed to dating...can somebody please explain this all to me?

2. I think this one will be your best bet on what you are looking for (this is from SMASH's link)

"To try to gain the love or affections of, especially to seek to marry."

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    It a more refined, "old-fashioned" way of saying flirting, more specifically, agressive flirting.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    in order to "pitch woo"! (i never thought i have said that right let alone spelled it correctly!)

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Pitch woo :confused:

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Boy, this thread went from refined to 'woo woo' fast.

The connotations or implications are that it is a refined process of seeking the favor of a lady, to pursue a relationship that both understand will lead to a marriage. A process socially recognized as appropriate by the relatives of the woman as protecting her dignity and reputation, and leaving her reputation untarnished should the courting process end, so that she will still be socially acceptable to another suitor in the future.

Also, a woman knows you are serious about the relationship when you enter this process. For young adults this includes romantic expression, flowers, etc. Later, things like being presented to { and scrutinized by } the parents and family.
    Gifts of jewelry, up to and including engagement and a proposal of marriage.

Take about 17 years to play before you head that way. There is no rush. Till Ms. Right Now turns into Ms. Right.

:D

Thor

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    how's my fellow lefty bassist? ;) :)

pitching woo (if i'm even saying it right) is about the same as "heavy petting"

;)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm just waiting for you to say something rude and insensitive to me, so hurry and get it over with so i can go home!

:D ;)

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    and here it is, just from another thread....

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You may be excused now.

Go forth and sin no more!

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    SCROLL!!