Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is denatured alcohol and where do you get it?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by themajorrager, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Hi TBers,

sorry to ask a stupid question but it appears that denatured alcohol doesnt exist - at least not hear in australia. everyone i have asked here just looks at me funny :eyebrow:
    is denatured alcohol known by any other names? and where is it typically purchased and what is it typically used for?

2. Here in Denmark it's also called household spirit or denatureted ethanol. What's important is that it has no or very little content of water. What I use is 93% ethanol, and does no corrosive damage to my strings when I leave them overnight. Saw the beginning of corrosion when I forgot them for over a week.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey, you're not finding it because you nutty southern hemi types use a different name for it...

I know it's been discussed here before, and after a bit of searching...I came across this from a NZ member:

"Denatured alcohol/Methylated spirits are names for ethanol that has 4-6% methanol in it. (and it is not completely pure, that's why it smells like gasoline and why they colour it blue/purple)."

Check for Methylated Spirits at yer local hardware type store. Most of our places keep it with the painting/finishing supplies.

4. thanks Burning Skies. yes when we aussies arent riding kangaroos, wrestling crocodiles or feeding our pet koalas we are thinking up wacky names for otherwise sensibley named products!!! :p

5. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Do you guys really have those things?

...I always thought they were inventions of people like Disney. I always figured that it was more like the second Mad Max movie.

6. i dont mean to be rude but you are kidding arent you? :eyebrow:
    havent you ever seen a nature documentary or Steve Irwin AKA The Crocodile Hunter? i thought Americans were supposed to be nuts for him - he makes a living running around in the wild jumping on crocodiles and wrestling them, picking up snakes and getting too close to sharks!!! he also runs a zoo
    yes we have lots of funny creatures "down under": 9 of the 10 deadliest snakes on the planet; kangaroos; wallabies; echidnas; wombats; tasssie devils; plenty of man eating sharks; koala bears; possums; and emus - none of which have escaped from the Disney studios!!! :p

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

LOL

P.S. I'm sure BurningSkies was kidding. :)

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Now I would like an explanation of how this can be true and that Irwin can still be alive...Maybe someone needs to help the snakes a bit?

Here in the US we have sharks too.

They've been hungry lately.

Not as much fun as when a bear wandered away with someone's baby not too long ago.

9. LMAO :p In Australia we had a baby go missing in 80s - the mother claims that "a dingo took my baby"! (a dingo is a native dog)
    As for Irwin i dont know how he does it - maybe he's "at one with the animals"? :eyebrow:

10. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Don't forgot about the majorrager.

EDIT:I know it's two words...

11. You're not going to build a home grown flamethrower are you? lol

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With the bear thing, the woman had several kids, and took off with the older one, while leaving the baby...I just figured that she sized up the situation and took the one she had the most time and effort invested in.

...if you all took pictures the next time Irwin was 'at one' with the animals, maybe you could get him arrested?

Oh, how's winter treating you...it's in the 90's here.

13. and now hears Tom with the weather...
    yes its freakin cold right now - you tend to get that in winter though. a lot of people outside Australia (esp. in the UK) dont believe that we have snow here in the winter - but we do! australia is often sterotyped as a big desert with lots of "outback", some beaches and not much else. when i was going to school in england i was actually able to convince some people, without much difficulty, that i used to ride kangaroos to school back "down under" and had several pet koalas.
    so much ignorance in the world...
    so little time to educate...

steve irwin is actaully a very intelligent guy who contibutes enormously to the conservation of wildlife in australia. i guess he just likes to live dangerously? or will just do whatever it takes to get people watching his documentaries so he can educate them on australias wildlife? :)

14. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I hate to make an on-topic reply after all this wonderful discussion of wildlife, but denatured alcohol may also be referred to as isopropyl alcohol IIRC. Like an earlier poster said, look for the stuff > 90%.

Hey, maybe if you're in a pinch, you could use some grain alcohol/Everclear. That stuff is like 190 proof which means it's 95% pure alcohol. :)

15. thanks man but burningskies has already enlightened me - "down under" denatured alcohol is called methylated spirits - 95% ethanol. ive got some strings soaking in it as i type!

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, sorry...that's incorrect. Isopropyl alcohol (AKA "rubbing alcohol") is mostly water, and doesn't work well for string cleaning. Denatured alcohol has much less water content, dries faster, and is a much stronger solvent...therefore a better string cleaner. Look in the paint thinners area.

17. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I would hardly refer to Isopropyl alch. @ 90% mostly water. Granted, denatured alcohol may be better, but you don't necessarily have to soak your strings for that long in it to clean them. Now I wouldn't reccomend using the 70% stuff but 90 should work fine. The last time I cleaned my strings, I used denatured and soaked them for an hour. The stuff is very effective and I can't see a reason why one would need to leave them in longer.

18. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I think you might be referring to a lab-grade isopropyl alcohol or something...the typical stuff you get in drug stores is usually less than 10% alcohol IIRC.

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ

In my post I said get >90% isopropyl alcohol.
    I don't think you could even buy 10% rubbing alcohol as wine would have a higher alcohol content.

20. jbathehut

jbathehut

Apr 20, 2005
    I think most rubbing alcohol that you find in the supermarket is around %70, but i've seen %90 also. You can always call up Fisher scientific and get the %99 isopropyl alcohol. That stuff dries real quick.