Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is DI and preamps?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by withdevil, Apr 24, 2005.

1. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    I know something that.. DI is u can use without rack..or amp maybe and preamp (outboard/onboard). 1.Can I use a single DI as a preamp to my bass guitar? 2. What is difference of outboard/onboard preamps.. 3. Are distortion inside M-80 or samsamp good?
    have nice day

2. A preamp is a circuit that helps shape your tone. Onboard preamps are powered by batteries so if your bass needs batteries to run, you have a preamp in it. An outboard preamp does the same thing but is not inside your bass. Some people run both at the same time. The DI or "direct injection" box is designed to balance out your signal to run to a board for live sound or for recording. The sansammp and the MXR are both DI boxes and preamps together. You can shape your tone as well as run a balanced signal to the house board or whatever. I don't know about the m-80 distortion sounds but there are many threads discussing this.

Hope this helps!

3. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    Thanks,.,. that helped keke.. So if I get DI then i dont need a preamp???

4. No . . . some (better) DI's are preamps aswell, alot, if not most, preamps have DI outputs, but a standard DI is just a box with a Direct output aswell as a parallel 1/4" jack output, the XLR output from the DI is used to go to a soundboard so it can go through a mixer, some people play just with the DI to PA, but then you dont have a backline or actual bass amp behind you