Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is difference between POD & SansAmp GT2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brewer9, Oct 31, 2000.

1. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I've been told wonderful things about both products (Bass POD and SansAmp GT2) but I can't figure out where one ends and the other begins. Do they work together? or are they the same thing? What is the difference between them? and what are the similarities? also, which is a better value?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SansAmp GT-2 is a guitar amp emulator ... I think it does Fender, Marshall and Mesa. You can switch it for simulated mic location, too. It gives a pretty decent overdrive for guitar, but I've never heard a bass played through one. It might work, but I'd check the low frequency response.

The Bass POD is made for bass (Line 6 makes one for guitar, too), and is also an amp emulator with some built-in effects. If you yearn for vintage sound on different types of amps, it does a pretty good job, too. However, if the effects you choose sucked in their original version, they suck on the POD too. Ditto for amps. But it does a very good job of emulating the suckiness. I've just never been a big fan of underpowered amps driving mediocre speakers. It also can emulate modern heads and cabs with a farily good level of accuracy.

If I were going to buy one of these, I wouldn't, unless I already had a SansAmp Bass Driver DI. This is what you really want/need. I have a POD, but I don't use it nearly as often as I do the SansAmp.

3. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    But isnt the SansAmp DI just a fancy direct box?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah ... REAL fancy ... see the thread on it. It can add a real nice tube overdrive sound (not too much) and it has bass and treble boost/cut and presence and drive adjustments. You will not believe how it will improve the sound of your bass AND your amp. Check it out on their site.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/BSDR.html

"It's a good thing." ~ Martha Stewart

[Edited by Munjibunga on 11-01-2000 at 02:20 PM]