Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what is difference

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ibapunk, Dec 9, 2000.

1. ibapunk

ibapunk

Dec 9, 2000
    I want to buy a bass and start playing, I wanted to know what the difference is between a bass amp and a regular amp?..i have an amp in my garage for some reason and I was wondering if any amp works for the bass. I am broke as a joke and dont want to spend a lot of money right away...would it work untill i could get an amp? By the way it is a Fender sidekick bass 50, or thats what it says on it anyway.

thanks.

2. A Bass amp has a wider range of frequencies, so it can output the low frequencies of the bass, that a guitar amp cannot do. A bass amp can not only output from a bass guitar, but it can also output from a regular guitar. So to answer your question, if its not a bass amp it won't even output any sound.

3. I have to disagree, I'm afraid. When you're interested in practising only at low volume, any amp will do, as long as the connectors fit and as long as there's any form of preamplifier with tone controls. You could boost the bass on a guitar amplifier and have a bit of a bass sound.

But ????? If your amp says Fender Basskick bass 50, isn't it a bass amp already?

4. the amp in your garage should do just fine..

at low volumes.. pretty much anything will do.. I really don't think there is much difference between 8 inch bass combos and 8 inch guitar combos..

as far as the difference between bass and guitar amps.. bass amps are designed to handle the lower frequencies better.. the equalization controls on a bass amp will focus more on the bass frequencies

a bass through guitar speakers at high volumes could damage them, and would sound crappy anyways

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've used guitar amps in the past with little problem...as long as the power's there I can get a 'passable' tone by rolling off the highs and playing through 15's...One of my main workhorse amps came to me right after all of my band's equipment got stolen and I borrowed a guys Sunn Concert Lead head. Kinda wish I still had that one...

-robert

6. hey Ibapunk what you got there is allready a
    bass amp and connecting a bass to a guitar amp does nothing if you keep it on low volumes, you can destroy the speaker of the guitar amp it you play too loud on it with a bass
    but can you do something for me?
    I have also a sidekick bass 50 but mine is broke.
    could you send me the schematic of the amp (if you have it)
    or a pic of te inside of the amp will help me a lot too
    (you can get the amp out by loosening the screws on the top of the combo, but you have to disconnect the speaker first, you can disconnect it by just pulling the jack out of the bottom of the amp, if you done this you can pull the amp out and then take the pic of it, you can put it back afterwards and don't be afraid it won't hurt your amp if you do it carefully :smug: )
    you can send it to bartweyens@hotmail.com
    thanks anyway

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    bass bart, you can get the schematic from Fender for just $5. Or you can get it from www.angela.com too...

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I nominate this for ridiculous post of the week . . . ( . . . shaking head in amazement . . .)

9. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

Im just curious as to how you came to this conclusion....

Wow....this is just bad information being spread.

10. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

LOL

Actually, after checking the date...you're gonna have to nominate that for most ridiculous post of the last half decade

:eek: