What is double thumbing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JLeeFJ, Jul 26, 2000.

1. JLeeFJ

Apr 5, 2000
    You read the question: what is double thumbing? I'm not particularly great at slapping, but I have a great thumb. (I just can't get the octave popping thing to work.) How do you perform the double-thumbing technique, and can I get a few examples of songs that use it?

Band free and lovin' it!
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Double thumbing is when you strike the string twice with your thumb. It's similar to a standard thumb slap, except instead of "bouncing" your thumb off the string, you let your thumb go "through" the string. Then you just pull your thumb back through the string, causing it to sound again. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's the best description I can give you without actually showing it to you. It's sorta like alternate picking with a plectrum, except you use your thumb. Once you get the basic idea down (do it SLOWLY at first obviously), you can get some pretty rapid fire licks happening with your thumb. A good example of some of the possiblities this technique brings to the table would be found on "Sinister Minister" from the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "Live Art" CD. Hope that helped....

3. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    I just learned this one recently. I'm not sure if this is the 'correct' way but I use the side of my thumb and strike downward and then upward, usually in a 16th note pattern between beats 3 & 4... . It's the easiest to practice on the G string. Freddie Washington & Nathan East are amoung those who use it also, but I think Nathan tends to use his index finger and 'flicks' it back and forth. Did that make sense?

It's Fun!
  4. nixrick

Aug 12, 2000
    Do you go past the string on the nail, or the pad side of your thumb? i'd never heard of this...
  5. Williamsburg Jim

Williamsburg Jim

Mar 5, 2000
    Use the side of your thumb/nail and strike down as if you were using a pick. Kind of a flick of the wrist. This is a bit different than regular slap in that you have to be a bit more precise and striking 'inward' won't work.
  6. Just thought Ill add a player who uses the technique of double thumbing.. Les Claypool of Primus. Listen to their last record "Antipop", and get confused.

Oh well,