Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What is Dr. Pepper???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rumzini, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    It's been bugging me for years.. It's my favorite soda of all time and I just can't seem to pinpoint it. Is it so obvious that I can't see it? I bought one at a party store today and a lady asked me what does it taste like? Holy cow...I didn't have an answer!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's liquid good. That's all you need to know (I think the secret ingrediant is Alka Seltzer). The red version of it ain't bad either.

3. Dr Pepper is root beer with cherry cola :) :) :) Yum.

Just try mixing a cherry cola with a root beer and your damn close.

Dont know the exact history but I'm sure there a story behind it.

Hey, Why does Dr. Pepper come in a bottle???
    Because his wife died!

All time favorite joke when I was a kid and to young to under stand what it ment, than one day the light bulb went off.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Great joke!!!

I've oft thought that it was a cherry flavor...I recently thought of the root beer connection. I love the part in Forest Gump where he drinks all the Dr. Peppers at the White House...that is so me!!!

Several years ago when I visited Canada I was made a drink called a flaming Dr. Pepper I think. It was damn good!!! The barkeep slid it down the bar all lit up....was way cool!

5. Just dont ask for that in San Francisco unless your ready for the what you might get :D

6. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    They used to bottle/ship it from here. The place right across the street from my store still sells the original formula, now THATS good Dr. Pepper. I keep the mini fridge stocked too, plus the fridge at home too. If you ever get a chance to try "Dublin" Dr. Pepper go for it, that's the original formula. Mmm Mmm :D

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard from several sources that Prune juice was the original flavoring agent. I kinda taste it myself, but who knows whats in Dr Pepper these days.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I thought it was the taste of originality :(

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Essence of Gelfling

11. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles

That's "Mr. Pibb" to you. :D

12. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I believe this is right.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Y'know, I thought I looked younger and less wrinkly each time I drank some.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yeah, and Florida is so butch. :smug:

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Duh! :D

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yes, I'm enjoying some now. (Heh, heh)

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mr pibb?

Also, my local store has a store brand dr pepper rip off called Dr Sparkle that tastes pretty good. its a little more cherry tasting than dr pepper.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's Mr. Pibb with an advanced degree.

brad cook

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    See, the difference between mr pibb and dr. pepper, is mr pibb didn't even get his degree. He dropped out and started making soda early.

1 posting point to the person that guesses that comedian. I know it's not exact at all, but tell me who that story came from...

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm totally guessing but it would seem to me that a joke like that is something you'd hear from....

Steven Wright?