1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

what is ebonal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pillgrimm13, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

Sep 29, 2009
    queensbury ny
    i was at a local music store recently that had 2 fender basses with ebonal fret boards. ive heard of it and know its synthetic but what is it actually made of and how does it hold up over time? one was a frettless jazz bass. the stuff is awful shiney would strings scratch it? how does it hold up over time?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think it's black plastic. Maybe phenolic or something I guess. I believe they use it #1) because it's cheaper than ebony, and #2) because it holds up well in a fretboard application.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya ... that is pretty much what it is ...

Ebonol is an artificial material similar to ebony (Diospyros crassiflora), a black wood from Africa, which sometimes includes grey streaks. Ebonol is commonly used in place of ebony in the construction of stringed instruments, like fretless bass fingerboards, because it is easy to work with and resistant to forming grooves from roundwound strings. Ebonol is technically known as "XXX Paper Phenolic", and is a paper-based high pressure laminate made from layers of black paper and phenolic resin.

It does not have the look or feel or tone of Ebony when you play and handle the bass.

4. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Ebonol = Synthetic ebony
    Roundwounds tend to gouge into it

5. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I wonder if they realize they named their product after a trade name for the sandlawood odorant 3-methyl-5-[2,2,3-trimethylcyclopent-3-en-1-yl]pent-4-en-2-ols
    The EbanolsĀ®

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    du-oh! No wonder, I spelled it wrong ....

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    My brother has a squier fretless ebonal neck. In his words, it is a "tone sucker". Will have to A-B it soon with my SX rosewood fretless.

8. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Nashville