What is Everybody Working on in the Woodshed These Days?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Michael777, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    What is Everybody Working on in the Woodshed These Days? What Are Your Practice Routines Looking Like?

2. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    Since i have winter break for almost two months I'm just doing my best to improve as much as possible in technical ability and theory. Lots of Jazz standards and Jamiroquai.

3. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    When You Work On Jazz Standards, Are you Learning Melody And The Changes?

4. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    Any Method Books Or instructional Stuff you Find Cool Lately?

5. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    Oh yeah. I think you've only really learned a song completely if you're able to write out a lead sheet for others to learn it.

Michael777 likes this.
  6. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    Actually another guy on here named Bopland was advertising his books full of licks in every key for Jazz. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1419028826.791665.jpg

Michael777 likes this.
  7. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    Let me know how to contact him, I would be interested in this book

8. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

Nov 19, 2013
    You can look them up on this site. Their name is just "Bopland" or you can buy the book on Amazon.

Michael777 likes this.
  9. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Wantage, New Jersey
    After a 12 year hiatus I'm getting back in the saddle. Really just getting the mechanics back and ready to start brushing up on theory. Helping out a friend in the studio this weekend so I'm a little nervous about that. I want to make him sound as good as possible.

10. meshica7

meshica7

Mar 7, 2009
    Florida
    Been 'woodsheding' my bass maintenance chops lately.
    Just learning the ins and outs of my 4 Jazz Basses. Not always able to get my basses worked on by seasoned pros so I figured I needed to learn a bit. When I was younger I was in the habit of taking my basses completely apart once a year. I cleaned them inside and out,replaced worn hardware,maybe refinish or do a whole repaint if I had the time and money. Of course I only had 2 basses back then and no real responsibilities! Now-a-days I own 8 basses plus a Chapman Stick,I gig,record,working on a movie,and work a 40 hr a week job which leaves little to no time to drop off my basses to get them tuned up.Never mind the cost. So I got a really decent book on Fender Bass maintenance called The Fender Bass Handbook by Paul Balmer (Voyageur Press). I picked my copy up at a Barnes and Noble but you can get yours on Amazon. Not sure why they list the hardcover for $69.00 though...I got mine for $25.00.
    Been building up my tools as well..slowly but surely. As a working musician,or an avid bass collector, I think it's imperative to have a working knowledge on the maintenance of your basses. It can save you money in the long run.
    [​IMG]

11. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Walking basslines. I'm going through the Ed Friedland book, and learning a few standards. I am trying to learn the head and changes

12. I've just about got the walking bass down, as well as key changes (as in going from the key of C to the key of E quickly). Listening to a lot of YouTube videos. One thing I'm doing is listening to a song and trying to 'play it' in my head, that is, all the notes. I'm finding that a lot of Cont. Christian songs use the same four notes in about 3 different patterns. If you spot one of those, you can pick it up and nail it in a hurry. I can always be better!

13. Kip Martin 650

Kip Martin 650

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm not doing scales, instead i'm learning Paul McCartney parts.

14. Jeffrey Bryan

Jeffrey Bryan

Jan 28, 2008
    Amsterdam
    I'm expanding my licks 'n riffs library. If I have enough time I jam on a drumtrack (for 1-2 hours) and if I find something of interest I'll record it and save it for later.

Also working on fret hand speed. I'm mixed handed and when I started playing bass it felt natural to go lefty but went with righthanded anyway. I think this is why my playing hand is much better than my fret hand. I'm OK with it but gotta practice your weak points right?

I program arpeggios I like, figure them out on my bass and increase the tempo with 5BPM after a successful run. I always record myself to stay objective. Still makes me sad when I thought "Oh this was a good run" and find out it was actually pretty sloppy.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My 6 year old daughter's bad attitude. ;)

Spidey2112 and amusicalperson like this.
  16. AK66

AK66 Commercial User

Apr 25, 2015
    The Hague, Holland, EU.
    Plug&Play:Project - non-profit project for the less fortunate, The Hague, The Netherlands.
  17. No1
    Just finishing my Fender 2001 MIM Jazz bass. I need to find Headstock Decal for it. Not been easy!
    No2,
    I have a fender 1966 RI Jazz Bass in the same position, but the neck is finished so got to assemble it
    No3 A 1966 P Bass Slab Frankenstein just painted.
    No4 A single coil P Bass came with a neck plate. Just painted that, but I need help to find a body Profil as Im insecure about the build year.
    There is also a P Bass body from the USA stuck in Customs here waiting for me to pay 21% Tax on it! I like to keep busy!

18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i know the bassline to every TV commercial. :bag:

19. pacojas, Mi elegro por ti. obvio tu super inteligente hombre! Bala por mi.........

20. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    I am very Fortunate to actually sit 30 Feet from Dave LaRue most saturdays. Just when you think you have a handle on it...listen to Dave...

gebass6 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021